Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It seems the timing cover gasket kit needs replacing. What…

Customer Question
It seems the timing...

It seems the timing cover gasket kit needs replacing. What is the labor time and cost for that replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

Its the 2.7 diesel sprinter 3500

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Sprinter?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I have it at a garage and they have identified an oil leak coming from that area. They recently replaced the harmonic balancer and front crankshaft seal and should have done the timing cover gasket when they had it apart, right?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 8 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Labor time is 2.7 hours and the gasket runs $20.

The timing cover doesnt come off to replace the harmonic balancer or the front crank seal. You pull the crank seal out from lower part of timing cover where the crankshaft goes thru it, but dont pull the timing cover.

If the timing cover gasket was leaking at the time the other work was done, then yes, they should have told you and quoted you a price on it at the time.

If it was not leaking at the time, then no reason for a shop to try to sell you the job at that point, as it would be oversell and unethical.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you. Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

HI,

Is there something I did not answer? You asked labor time and cost of gasket, which I correctly answered. You asked by the shop having not done it at the same time as the front crank seal and harmonic balancer, which I again correctly answered.

If there is something else, please let me know, otherwise at this time you do need to rate service based upon the accuracy of the answer.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager