Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I’m having Trouble with my 1994 2500 diesel truck. The truck

Hi I’m having Trouble with my 1994 2500 diesel truck. The truck doesn’t want to go into high gear the overuse isn’t working on the dash and I’ve also replace some part on the truck itself
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Overdrive
JA: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Transmission is a new one I guess with 50k on it so far. I am fixing it myself. I’ve replace the overdrive switch on the dash and put in a new throttle positioned switch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It has 285k miles on it the engine runs good. On the highway it shifts kinda rough until about 4 gear and stays there. So in 4 gear and at 2300 rpm is all I have 65mph is top speed. Couple months ago it did a large bang inside somewhere and I haven’t been able to find where it is. I’ve also takin the transmission pan off

HI,

Ok, the loss of overdrive combined with the banging sound, your overdrive assembly has failed and will need to be replaced. I have attached directions for you

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Befor I was able to finish I took the pan off and notice some little shaving of metal in the pan. Along with the transmission fluid smelling smoky. Also the overdrive switch light isn’t turning on when engaged

HI,

At the very least the overdrive assembly is shot, but you could also have broken or cracked bands. You can either start with replacing the overdrive assembly or go ahead and either do a complete rebuild or replacement

Unfortunately the only way to ascertain the damage at this point is pulling the transmission and tear it down

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi there what would you recommend

HI,

That depends upon your abilities. It is slightly cheaper to rebuild the transmission, but unless you have experience in transmission rebuilds, I dont recommend it as you can end up with a transmission that doesnt work and more issues.

If you dont have any experience in rebuilding transmissions, then I would look for a low mileage transmission and just swap it out. While a little more than a rebuild, it is quicker to do this and just be done with it.

With the combination of symptoms and fluid color and smell, along with the metal shavings, I think you have more than just the overdrive assembly, which is why I recommend just installing another transmission altogether

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have a diagram of a transmission?

HI,

If you mean an exploded view, not a single diagram as there are too many internal parts for one. It is broken up over 14 diagrams. This what I mean by being experienced in rebuilding one. You are talking literally hundreds of parts that make up the transmission guts

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where does the wire from the overdrive switch go to? Overdrive soleinoid or to the trucks computer

It goes from the switch to the powertrain control module and from there to the overdrive solenoid. But this is not an electrical issue. Electrical issues dont cause the fluid to have burnt smell or metal shavings in the fluid. Nor will it cause the bang sound you heard.