Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Turn the key and it clicks but will not start. One of the…

Customer Question
Turn the key and...

Turn the key and it clicks but will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

One of the two key fobs is worn but we have tried both keys with the same result. the second key fob is only two years old and doesn't get used much. We can turn the steering wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2013 Dodge Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

We changed the starter because it was ex

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The old starter was extremely hot. The only message is about the electric brake and the check engine without any codes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

does the click sound like its the starter kicking out?

how did this issue occur? did the engine shut off on you while running or ??

it sound to me like the engine is locked up but it all depends on the scenario of how this happened. if the starter does click and gets warm that tells me that something in the engine or trans is seized an it will not turn.

you may want to see if you can turn the engine by hand to confirm that it rotates.

also make sure the battery cables are tight and the battery is fully charged.

Let me know if this helps. '

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified