roy
roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2013 Dodge Caravan AC cooling perfectly yesterday( no

2013 Dodge Caravan AC cooling perfectly yesterday( no gradual decrease in cooling temp). Today fan blows hot air only (outside temp 90 degrees now). With ac set at cold, engine running, but ac in fan off position...when ac turned on , I do not hear the compressor clutch engage at all. Still blows hot air only.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: Everything else runs great!
JA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I will look at this first my self. Tried nothing else yet, just found out a few minutes ago. Sounds electrical to me, not low Freon related. What do you think?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all the known info and facts that I have at this time.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

the first thing that needs to be checked is the freon. you need pressure for the ac clutch to engage. you may have developed a leak.

do you have any gauges???

Roy

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
even though it was working perfectly (very cold air) when we cut it off yesterday, this morning when starting it up, no cold air at all. Just never heard of overnight total leak of Freon/coolant, usually gradual decrease.

depends on how bad the leak is.

did you check all the fuses with a test light or voltmeter to be sure one of them has not failed??

is the ac cooling fan on???

Roy

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
No, have not checked fuses yet, but I will now. It just sounds more electrical to me rather than Freon. Do you agree that it MAY be a fuse? For me, that will be easiest to check. Thank you for the help!

it could be just a fuse but remember fuses blow for a reason. if you done find the reason it will fail again.

good start

your welcome

Roy

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Yep, how well I know. May be back later. Thank you for the help! Must go now to do other work. Have a great day!

you as well

thank you