Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2015 dodge ram 1500 with a hemi. Had an oil change…

I have a 2015...

I have a 2015 dodge ram 1500 with a hemi. Had an oil change at 61500 km. They used Castrol synthetic oil. Was 10 days ago. Have noticed everytime I start my truck white smoke comes out of the tail pipe for a few seconds. I never used to have this.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

I had an oil change at the Chrysler dealership at 56000km. Had this oil change 10 days ago at a quick oil change shop

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I am not fixing it. Just had the oil change 10 days ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that is everything. Just wondering if it may be the type of oil added? I am planning on calling the Chrysler dealership to find out what type of oil they have been using

9/22/2017
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good morning,

The synthetic vs conventional argument has raged on for decades now. Typically when you get your vehicle new from the factory it comes with a synthetic blend. This is especially true with vehicles that use 5w20 motor oil since it is almost cheaper for a manufacturer to make a 5w20 in synthetic than it is to make it in conventional. Also most major car manufacturers purchase their oil from the same vendor (Kendall) and they can get it cheaper in synthetic blends.

So far no one has been able to prove that switching back and forth from one type of oil to another causes no affect on the engine. It shouldn't make it burn oil, it shouldn't make it leak, etc. Some studies show that synthetic is less likely to burn than conventional.

Do you know if the vehicle was using oil at all between oil changes?

Not sure I understand your question. Do you mean have I noticed if the vehicle has been burning oil in the past? The answer would be no.
Do you recommend I confirm what type of oil the Chrysler Dealership used and if it is different than Castrol synthetic have them do an oil change and see if the white smoke out of the tailpipe stops?
I haven't received a response to my additional questions?
We're having internet issues at the shop. I'm responding with my cell phone now. Give me a sec to look over your responses.
The first thing I would do is make sure the oil is at the correct level. Too much oil can make it burn and smoke. Next, I would drive it for a few miles and see if the smoke dissipates. Sometimes oil can get pumped into the crank case ventilation system when adding oil. It might just need to burn out of the system.
Ok thanks. I foundout the chrysler dealership uses pennzoil semi-synthetic. I will double check my oil level

So you should have no problem at all going from pennzoil synthetic blend to castrol full synthetic. They are very similar- so similar in fact that pennzoil and castrol engages in legal disputes over whether castrol could sell a product as synthetic that pennzoil was selling as synthetic blend (or semi-synthetic).

My guess is that some oil got sucked into the crank case ventilation and now it just needs to burn out.

Any idea how long this may last? It has been 10 days since the oil change and the white smoke started happening.

You don't have any warning indicators on the dash or anything right?

What does the smoke smell like?

No there are no warning indicators on the dash. When I scroll through the system to look up oil level, oil pressure, temperature, etc, etc. Everything reads normal. I would have to say the smoke smells like regular exhaust

Usually burning oil has a distinct smell. It's very burning chemical smelling and makes your eyes burn too.

I'm wondering if maybe this is a fuel quality issue or something.

How quickly does the smoke dissipate?

Once I start the engine, it takes 1 to 2 seconds than I see the smoke coming out of my tailpipe in my side mirror. Some times it is quite thick, other times not so much. I can usually see it for about 5 seconds than it stops

I would check the oil level, then drive it for a week or so and then check the oil level again. See if it changes at all.

It's not very common for these engines to use oil.

I would also keep an eye on the coolant level. Coolant burning makes a more white smoke than oil burning does.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Will do. Thanks