Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

U1601 code. It's for the computer having improper or no

Customer Question
It's for the computer...

It's for the computer having improper or no software in the computer, this is the third computer to do this.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2007 dodge 3500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked all wires going to the pcm, flashing it with oem software and also replacing the pcm

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 9 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

What engine do you have? Thanks.

6.7

How long do computers last before this code sets?

About 10 minutes give or take.

Does vehicle have any aftermarket peformance flashing? Have you verified power/ground is good when code sets?

No performance flashing, truck is completely stock and all powers and grounds are good!

This code really doesn't have much info on it. Here is a TSB related to the code incase you haven't seen it but I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/79krua3gziadiv0/tsb.pdf?dl=0

Yeah I’ve seen the TSB
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 9 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Are you flashing this ECM with factory software yourself? Where did you obtain the factory software? What scan tool are you using to flash the software to your ECM?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Using a WiTech with factory software

Are you using Witech through TechAuthority or via Dealer access? Are you getting a successful flash? If you "re-flash" with same part number again will this happen again?

You have physically replaced the ECM 3 times??

Through the dealer, it has no communication once the pcm goes out, truck ran good when we put a known good pcm in it and then cut off, it has done that three times! Pcm has been succcesfully tested on other vechicles befire installing it on this truck.

So if you take this ECM out and put in another vehicle, will it still not communicate? Are you a Dealer Technician or the customer?

If you move it to another truck no it will not and I’m neither, I’m a mechanic at a shop.

This is very strange. Seems that there is a wiring issue causing the ECM to burn up or "partially" burn up since you still are getting the U1601 code. At this time, It may be recommended to replace the Engine Wiring Harnesses or diagnose the wiring to find the short in the wiring...

Are there any other clues that may be coming up before this happens?

Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.