Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Drove the truck an hour ago and now the key will not unlock…

Customer Question
Hey. Drove the truck...

Hey. Drove the truck an hour ago and now the key will not unlock or lock the doors and the truck will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes. About a month ago they were cleaned. All of the dash functions are working. Voltage on the dash reads 13+ volts when you turn the key to the on position.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '13 Dodge?

2007 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am if possible. Just tried replacing the battery in the key, but that was not the problem. Key does not appear to be communicating with the truck computer. This truck was in the dealership last week for air bag recalls. Could something have come loose in the column when they replace air bag components?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all I know at this point.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/22/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 10 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Have you tried doing a capacitor discharge procedure?

If not, would you like the procedure?

I have not. Where is the capacitor located?

Inside the modules that are located all throughout the vehicle.

First can you explain why the truck would do this?

I can sure provide a few possible causes.. but you must understand, it could be HUNDREDS of things and without running pinpoint tests, it would be kind of like driving a car blindfolded.

Make sense?

Thank you for your time but this is simply not going to work. Please refund my account and cancel any subscription........etc.

You can do that on your end.

Have a great night!