Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

Trying to find info about obd1 connector and how many pins

trying to find info about obd1 connector and how many pins it has vs the obd2. want to buy compatible adaptor
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1995 ram 1500
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: father in law fixing it. but need a way to read error codes without spending more money. adaptor seems like cheaper solution. parts places will only go back to 96
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: looking at investing in one.... but so many different connectors for obd1. how many pins do i need to look at
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

one nice thing about dodge is you can use the check engine light to blink out the codes.

turn the key off and on 3 times, the third time leave it in the on position. the check engine light will start blinking. the first code should be 12, that will be one flash, pause 2 quick flashes. then the next one.

try this and get back to me with the results.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Roy its a simple question i am trying to shop for a scanner but i need to make sure it has the correct adapter to fit 95 dodge ram. i need to know how many pins it has so that i can find the right one and not be buying 150 paperweight.

there are no adapters for the obd1 to obd2 connectors. completely different system

Roy

I see you requested another Expert............
Here is OBD1 Connector
You will need to find a Scan Tool that either does ONLY OBD1 or Both OBD1 & OBD2
Click Attachments Below
Located above Driver Pedal on dash

Experience: Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years