Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The rear power outlet in my 2005 Dodge Caravan has no power…

Customer Question
The rear power outlet...

The rear power outlet in my 2005 Dodge Caravan has no power and the front cig lighter blows the fuse if u plug in an air pump or any thing that uses peak power.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

As far as I know ... I would have to double check .,, my Ex says she put in a tracking device around the time this started

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

But I have not found anything so far ...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am doing the work myself

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/21/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Were you able to check the amperage of the fuse that keeps blowing?

i don't get home till after 7pm and it is dark here by then, will check before lunch friday.
I know the one that is blowing is correct because I have had to replace it so many times.
No problem with that fuse until the rear one stopped working ...

There is another fuse that is separate for the rear power outlet that is probably blown as well.

OK, so would it be in the fuse box under the hood or else where ?

the fuse box under the hood.

I just checked ever fuse in the box under the hood and they all look ok.
I thought the kit I bought had a tester but it was only the fuse puller ... but they all looked good and I tried that before getting on the site... please Advise ...

I am going to open this up for other experts.

Thank You ...
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Did you check for "Missing" fuses?

give me a bit to get you a fuse diagram so you can check specific fuses...

Thank you,

Robert

Well .., the happened all of a sudden cause everything was working fine till the Ex and
I split up and she claims to have had something put in on the van to track me
And a few times she knew just where I was
But then she might just full of it ..,

At this time, check fuses 5 and 6 in the PDC by the battery. These should both be yellow 20 amp fuses. Check both of these fuses and post back the results... --->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I won't have access to the Van till Sunday morning. I am going to get a tester to verify the visual check of the fuses yesterday.

Sounds good, Post a reply when you are ready..

Thank you,

Robert

OK, not only did I visually check both, but I switched them and what was working before is stil working
And what was not still isn't.

Ok, I mainly wanted to be sure that both of these fuses are present and that BOTH of these fuses are "Yellow". Are they both yellow fuses?

As for the power outlet that no longer has power, I am suspecting that either the power outlet itself has failed or that there is an open circuit somewhere for this outlet. To be able to find out will require disassembly to get to the back of the power outlet to check for power at the connection.

As for the front one blowing when using high current items, this may be normal as if the air pump is drawing more than 20 amps the fuse is "Supposed to" blow. It is possible that the air pump is beginning to give out and is starting to draw too much current. Other than that, I would assume that as long as it doesn't blow when using low current items such as phone chargers, this one should be considered ok...

As for the tracking device. It is not likely that a tracking device would have been installed to a circuit that stays on with the key off. If this was done, it would lead to repeated battery drain overnight that would require jump starting in the morning. A tracking device either should be "Self Powered" or it should be connected to something that comes on ONLY with the key in the "Run" position....

If you want me to help you diagnose the power outlet issue, you will need access to an incandescent test light...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok ... that all makes sense ...
The only thing is the air pump does
Fine in my friends car but he may have a higher amp fuse. Yes both fuses are the yellow 20 amp fuses. I will go bet one of the tester lights and I have a little electric knowledge from working on computers.
So if you want to send the next step I should be able to try it after 4pm CDT ..,
Thanks !

Also keep in mind that on your vehicle, these fuses may power up additional circuits that may or may not be on at the same time that you are running your air pump...

Make sure the test light has an "Incandescent" bulb as opposed to a "LED" bulb.

Ok you will need to pull the driver side quarter trim panel enough to access the connection behind the power outlet so here is the instructions for that --->> Click Here to view <<---

Once you are able to access the connector to the power outlet you won't have to fully pull the quarter trim panel...

You will use the test light to test between the two wires that are connected at the power outlet connector. the lead connected via a paper clip to one terminal and probe the other terminal with the test light. It should light up. You might need to turn on the ignition in order to send power back there.

Here is the connector pin chart and wiring diagram for you....

Pin chart --->> Click Here to view <<---

Wiring Diagram --->> Click Here to view <<---

Let me know if the test light turns on while running this test and we can go from there.

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

I have the testing light but because of work I probably won't be able to get to it till Sunday which is my day off. So this might take at least a few more days ...

Sounds good, I will be here...

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert