Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Durango 4.7 L XLT - cool but not cold air, then no cold…

2001 Durango 4.7 L...

2001 Durango 4.7 L XLT - cool but not cold air, then no cold air. Had system professionally emptied, did a leak test with a vacuum pump (held vacuum at 30 #mer), cleared the system with the pump for 45 minutes, added 26 oz of freon and leak dye. Clutch engages, blower blows, but no cold air and low side line never gets cold (even during freon installation)

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Oh used a A/C manifold to add freon

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, Auto, clutch on A/C engages and spin with the wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, the relay diagram on the lid of the relay box is unintelligible. The relays don't seem to be connected to the systems identified. One owner since 2001

9/21/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

With the system on and the clutch engaged what are you pressure reading on the Low and High side gauges?

Give me five. I believe 110 Low and 150 High, but I would like to check again.

Please do and let me know.

lines attached open at valves and manifold Comp off 120 L and 125 H comp on 95 L and 150 H after two to three minutes I start to hear a bearing noise.
I have an laser thermometer if you would like the temperatures of the low and high lines at the compressor

If you AC clutch is engaged and you getting these readings that that usually means the compressor has failed. Normal pressure on a proper operating compressor should be 35 to 40 PSI on the low side (suction side) and right at 200 to 210 PSI on the High side (pressure side). The bearing noise also indicates the compressor is bad as well. I would not run it at all this this is resolved or you risk the compressor imploding on you.

Thank you.

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Phone call session started