Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 05 dodge Durango constantly goes through batteries. If it…

Customer Question
My 05 dodge Durango...

My 05 dodge Durango constantly goes through batteries. If it sits for more than 2-3 days the battery will be completely drained. Sometimes overnight it will be too weak to start the next day. Once this starts occurring it progressively gets worse to the point that the battery has to be replaced. the longest I have had a battery in this rig is 6 months and I have owned it for 5 years. There are no lights left on in the interior.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Yes on about my 10th battery now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Durango yourself? What have you tried so far?

Took it to a dealer a couple years ago and they couldn't find a draw on the battery.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thats it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

so there is a draw somewher, do you have a volt meter? I can guide you though the test procedure

I have had it checked at a dealer and they told me there was nothing drawing on the battery. No I don't have a voltmeter

well batteries just dont drain for no reason there is a drain, it either wasent doing it when they checked it or they didnt know what they were doing, it needs to be tested by a master mechanic when you know its in a fault condition

I'm on my 10th battery in the last 5 years with this rig. It eventually will drain the battery to a point where it won't even take a charge.
Is there anything that generally causes this issue in Dodge Vehicles of this year and model ?

not really, it could be anything at this point, are you getting any check engine codes?

No engine light comes on. Haven't checked with a reader to see if there are any codes, but when I have had to have it smogged it has'nt had any issues with codes.
Can you go ahead on how to run a Voltmeter test on it so that when I borrow one I can properly check to see what is causing the drain ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRcj1fQcWwU

here is a fully detailed video that will take you through everything you need to know on how to do the test

Thank You

sure thing let me know if you have any other questions