Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My dodge caliberGerks when accelerating but the rpm don't

My dodge caliber*****Gerks when accelerating...
My dodge caliber*****Gerks when accelerating but the rpm don't fluctuate
9/20/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it feel like an engine misfire when this occurs?

Is or has the check engine or any other lights come on with this issue here?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine light has come on and in the notifications it says gas cap I don't know about misfire

Did you have the codes checked at all with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set for this light being on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yea just bought a new gas cap and had the codes cleared

Do you remember what code numbers were set?Was it just an evap leak code for the gas cap or were other codes set?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I accelerate hard it is normal. I don't rember the codes the light has not come on lately

If there is any way you can get the codes this will help.I have seen issues with a faulty throttle position sensor cause this issue as well as a failing spark plug or coil causing an abrupt blip or cut out issue.If you can get the codes this will help quite a bit here to help locate the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What do you think about this problem being in the exhaust system because the rpms never change

If it is a noise difference when running it is possible there is a leak or damaged catalytic converter causing this issue here.

If it feels sluggish on acceleration then it can be a restricted catalytic converter as this was a fault that can occur with it needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I just had work done on it and they said no codes came up

If no codes come up there is a chance this is a restriction in the exhaust or an issue with a component like the transmission torque converter kicking in and out as this can cause this feel as well needing checked into.

I would see if someone from a shop or dealer will drive the vehicle with you so they can feel what is occuring here.This way they have an idea of what is going on and they can determine from there what needs done to resolve this fault.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do you check these things

I apologize for the delay.

You would have to have an exhaust back pressure test done to see if this is excessive back pressure.Usually you dont want to see more then 1.5 psi.This is done with a back pressure tester.

As for the torque converter you would need to monitor the torque converter apply and release with a compatible scan tool in most cases.The torque converter may need inspected as well to see if it is turning any abnormal colors

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ShudderingIf the lockup clutch inside the torque converter is starting to malfunction, you may experience shuddering at around 30-45 mph. The sensation is very noticeable and typically feels like you’re driving over a rough road with many small bumps. As the converter switches over to direct drive, a worn lockup clutch can make the transition difficult, resulting in this sensation. The feeling may start and stop abruptly and may not last long, but if you’ve experienced it several times, it’s time to get your transmission checked. this is exactly what my car does

I apologize for the delay.

This does sound like the torque converter.It may be the lock up solenoid failing for the torque converter needing replaced or an issue with the converter itself needing replaced.I have also seen issues with dirty fluid cause this fault with a transmission flush resolving this fault also.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pete you were so right it was the spark plug. There maybe a leak cause the gas cap thing I am getting it checked Tuesday

That is great to hear the fault has been located.If you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician