Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

This is a dodge dakota 87 v6 3.9 liter engine, it will try…

Customer Question
This is a dodge...

This is a dodge dakota 87 v6 3.9 liter engine, it will try to start but not run, sometimes it will run but idle rough and have to keep my foot on the brake and keep giving it gas at stop signs and red lights. its like it either isn't getting enough gas or won't idle properly. fuel filter and pump are fine we took the line loose and it is pumping gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid for a idle problem?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes maam i am, we have tried cleaning and regapping the spark plugs and cleaning the connectors on the distributor cap

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all i can think of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/20/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 10 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Is the check engine light on?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Ok
Lets just text

Sounds good. We can continue on this page.

Ok. What is your answer?

I can provide you with some possible causes and some tests you can run. Sound good?

Ok. Do that. What do yoj suggest?

Checking engine vacuum

Checking for vacuum leaks

Possible engine speed sensor

Idle air control motor/throttle body

MAP sensor or TPS sensor

Fuel injectors

Oxygen sensor

I would recommend to start there.

No check egine light. No fuell injectors. Carberator type engine.

Ok, then it could be an issue with the carb itself.

However, I would recommend to start by checking for vacuum leaks and checking the primary ignition (engine speed sensor)

How do we do that?

Which one?

Speed sensor

That is tested using a lab scope.

I am not at the trucl right now. Having it towed. Can I get back with you later?

Sure thing, Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>