How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pete Your Own Question
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Category: Dodge
Satisfied Customers: 29069
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
Type Your Dodge Question Here...
Pete is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an '06 magnum with a bad speed sensor. I do not know.

This answer was rated:

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have an '06 magnum with a bad speed sensor.
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: I do not know. I am wondering how much it costs to repair this. The garage is quoting $1700.00
JA: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No not fixing myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What liter engine is in your model?

Is this the vehicle speed sensor,input speed sensor or a wheel speed sensor?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
There is this reference:
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
$1700 worst case.

O.k.,this is an internal speed sensor.In order to get the input speed sensor the hydraulic valve body needs replaced.This is also called the EHCU.Your looking at 2.4 hours labor to have this done.The cost for the valve body can be over $1000 from a dealer.Then you add on fluid and gasket costs as well as labor.This can amount to the cost you see.

You can ask the dealer if you can provide your own for them to install.They will usually be o.k. with this but will also usually tell you there will be no warranty and you can obtain it for allot cheaper.Usually around $600 to $800 range.You would need to get the exact part number from the dealer on what you need so you can find this part for much cheaper as all models are different with the valve body so you need the exact part number for your model from your vehicles VIN number from a dealer.If you can get this number you can usually google it to find it cheaper or you can post the number here and I can locate it for you.

But the sensor failing in the valve body was common with the valve body needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete and 2 other Dodge Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
They tell me it is the temperate sensor but it sounds like it, too, is included in the valve body.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.

I apologize for the delay.

The temp sensor is includes in the electronics on the valve body itself and unfortunately has to be replaced with the valve body.

Thanks Pete