Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Any ideas what might be wrong with my 2010 Ram truck 2500.

The heater just blows cold...
Any ideas what might be wrong with my 2010 Ram truck 2500. The heater just blows cold. Is there a possible air lock or is there a valve not working or...?
9/20/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you take your hand and place it on both heater hose at the firewall with the engine warmed up and running with the heater on are both hoses getting nice and hot?

I'll check

Please do and let me know what you find and we can work from there.

I drove the truck for about 30 minutes and both are hot. Now the the air coming out of the the vents is just slightly warm.

If your sure your engine is running at normal temp them you may have some trapped air in the system or you have a blend door issue. Are both hose to hot to hold as they should be?

Both hoses are warm but not too hot to touch

Okay then check to be sure your thermostat is operating properly and you have no trapped air, the hoses should be very hot and if there not then its likely one or the other causing this.

The temperature is up to where it should be I just replaced the thermostat and drained and replaced the antifreeze so there could be an airlock how would I get the air out

If your dealing with air the best way to get it out is to do a vacuum bled. Do you have a vacuum bleeder?

No

Some auto parts store such as Auto Zone usually have a tool loner program and will loan you a bleeder for a deposit. I suspect if you have no restrictions in the core and can get the air out your temp will come up . If the flow and temp are in the normal range then you should not be able to hold on to the hoses with out burning your hands.

You can try but that may not work to well if the air is trapped in the heater core. This engine can be a bit of a pain in the rear bleeding it and that why a vacuum bleeder works real well.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ok thanks