Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

There is water pooling in both the drivers and passenger…

There is water pooling...

There is water pooling in both the drivers and passenger floorboards and I am also getting hot water dripping on my foot when driving on the accelerator pedal

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

Yes its water and both the passenger and driver floorboard have water in them but the passenger has alot more water but again there is hot water dripping on my foot on the gas pedal while driving I can feel up under the dash and the dash is soaked under the steering wheel and also under the glove compartment on the passenger side

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2007 Dodge Caliber 4 door

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am thinking one of my draining hoses may be clogged but I am not sure where to access this at

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you using the ac when this happens or any rain occuring at all?

Is it clear water for sure?

Let me know,thanks Pete

it has rained recently but this is the first time after many rains that I have had this problem and I cannot tell if the water is clear as my floorboards are black. This happens whether I am using ac or heat or not. Only occuring as of today , was in the car in the evening yesterday and floorboards did not have water in them.
I have recently moved and do not have access to a phone yet as I dont have a landline installed yet and do not own a cell phone.

Does it have a smell to it like anti freeze at all or a slimy feel?No need for call as we can continue here.

Let me know,thanks Pete

My coolant tank is full and the car does not seem to be getting hot although I can hear a swooshing sound when I turn the car going around a curve. I am thinking something is clogged that allows the water to drain
I dont understand the hot water dripping on my foot on the gas pedal while driving though.

Usually hot water can indicate coolant unless the heater is on and the water is being heated by the hot air in the heater box.If it does not have a sweet smell to it and is not slimy or low on coolant most likely it is not a heater core fault here.

Do you have a sun roof in your model here?

no sun roof and I did have the heater on for a short time. I drove my kids to school with the heater on but then on the way back home the heater was not on and still getting hot water dripping.
there is no smell to the water leaking or in the floorboards. How do I unclogg any draining system in my floorboards that is what I am being told may be the problem.
The water is not slimy also I ran my hand across the underside of the dash , under the steering wheel, which is soaked and the water on my hand was not slimy and no color at all to it.
Is there a video or website or can you tell me where to look in the car to unclog any drains that may be clogged but then again would clogging cause the hot water dripping on the gas pedal?

O.k.,this sounds like water build up in the heater box leaking due to the drain being clogged or the windshield seal leaking allowing water in.I have seen both occur.The heater is heating up the water.I am looking to see if I can find any info on the drain location for you I will post back here shortly.

The drain is located on the drivers side as shown below.You will need to pull back the carpet to see this drain tube to see if it is disconnected or plugged.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ro9fbfgwcf9pcax/d-09-20.gif?dl=0

1. Pull back the floor carpet to gain access to the condensation drain tube (2) located on the left side of the vehicle at the front right of the foot well.

2. Disconnect the condensation drain tube from the bottom of the HVAC housing (1).

3. Remove the condensate drain tube from the rubber grommet (3) in the front floor panel (4).

4. If required, remove the rubber grommet from the floor panel.

This will run near the gas pedal area so most likely it is disconnected needing connected.You should be able to look up and to the right of the gas pedal to see it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician
water build up in the heater box for sure because it barely rained at all yesterday and to be honest we have had alot and I mean alot more rain in the past week and had no problems with water in the floorboards until this morning when I got in the car before I even started it.

O.k., then you will need to locate the drain as posted above and see if it is disconnected or plugged to resolve this here.I suspect it is disconnected.

Thanks Pete

the plug was not disconnected however when I removed the condensation hose from the drain in the floorboard water started running out , the drain in the floorboard was not clogged either. I vacuumed the whole area clean and put the hose back into the floorboard and started the car turned on the heat and did not see anymore dripping. where would the clog might have been or still be? Is it in the hose and should I take the hose off completely?
If it is the windshield seal leaking how do I check this and how do I fix it lol?

Try using a wired coat hanger and try to run this through the drain in the floor and drain tube to see if it frees up any debris.If there was water coming out then this was the cause and using the coat hanger will free up and remove this debris usually.I dont suspect windshield as if it was then no water would have come out of this drain.