Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

4wd wont engage and abs light won't turn off abs wire

Customer Question
4wd wont engage and...

4wd wont engage and abs light won't turn off abs wire replaced module for abs sent off and found to be fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Brb will ask

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2011 Dodge Nitro 4.0L 4x4. The ABS & TRACtion lights are on. The code was for the LR wheel speed sensor. I tried replacing it and same code came back immediately after erasing. I even swapped the LR & RR wheel speed sensors since they are the same part number just to confirm that I did not get a bad part. The tech at the auction felt pretty confident that it was the ABS module, so I sent it to BBA Reman and they bench tested it and found no problems with it.When you try to engage 4wd the light just flashes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Nitro yourself? What have you tried so far?

I pulled the actuator off the transfer case. It has a 4-pin plug. The center lower pin stays hot at 14 V when running no matter what position the switch is in. The upper left, upper right and lower right pin stay neutral.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is this a common problem.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 5 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The first thing you will need to do is see what codes is has with a scantool.. Can you run by any parts store and have them read the codes free of charge and post the codes here so I can see what's going on?

Talk soon,

Brad

Hello Brad, The only MIL are for ABS and Traction Control. The Code is C1020 for LR Wheel Speed Sensor Circuit. But the code is a false ghost code that immediately returns when you erase it. The sensor has been replaced twice and I still can't get an actual speed reading from that wheel. I even swapped sides because it's the same part# ***** the LR & RR in case I got a defective sensor and it reads a speed in the RR but not the LR. The auction technician blamed the ABS computer so I sent it to BBA Reman in Taunton, Mass. they bench tested it and found no problems. I checked all wiring and fuses. Then criss crossed all the relays with similar relay part numbers to rule out a bad relay.
Since the 4WD just flashed when you try to engage it, I was thinking that they might be related. Maybe the 4WD controller steals the signal from the LR wheel speed sensor before engaging. But it does not engage. It has a 4 pin plug with the lower center staying hot and the other three ohming out as grounds no matter what position the switch is in so I'm not thinking that the actuator is bad. It lists for $430 and cost is $331. Too much to take a gamble on a non returnable electrical part. I don't have access to Alldata Community or Identifix anymore. I was hoping that you have seen this ten times and knew what causes these two systems to fail.
I haven't heard anything back yet
Jerry, Master Mechanic