Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 cummins Mega cab auto trans

Customer Question
4x4.Ill start from the beginning...
I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 cummins Mega cab auto trans 4x4.Ill start from the beginning. One day on a cold startup my truck started missfiring. I would let it run and it would continue to missfire. I let it sit for about 3 days and went back out and started up normally ran normal.About a month later I was driving down the road and the truck died while driving. Pulled over. Extended crank but starts. Next day same thing. I ordered injectors and put the injectors in.First drive from the garage died while driving again. This time no extended crank it just starts right up very crisp. This happened about 4 times one day. Then over the next 3 days about 4 or 5 times a day. Each time it would start right back up.Now the last time I drove it. It died while driving, key on and all accessories come on but no crank no start no click nothing. I thought it was a tipm but I pulled my tipm out and put it on my son's truck and it started his truck and functioned fine. I am at a loss now I have checked grounds and fuses but the truck still sits in the driveway (after I had it towed home) and will not crank or click.I did jump the starter and got it to crank over with the key in the run position and it would not start. but need to figure out what is causing it to have a no crank no start scenario
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 4 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Check battery voltage at each battery with the cables disconnected. If the left battery is low and the right battery is charged, I recommend to take both batteries and have them load tested. If either battery fails, replace both of them. Before reinstalling batteries, Thoroughly clean the battery terminal connections at both batteries, making sure to carefuly clean al eyelet connections as well as removing the through bolts and wire brushing them clean, reassemble everything connecting the battery cables securely and retest....

Post back the results...

Thank you,

Robert

Batteries are both new. I have checked and cleaned both terminals on each battery twice. And the grounds on the engine and frame. The truck died mid drive and now won't crank. I did try jumping the starter to the battery and it cranks very strongly.

Do you have access to a multi-meter to run some electrical tests??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I do yes! I believed you helped me with my 06 dodge a few years back and you were awesome! Let me know which tests to run.
I also have a snap on scan tool if that helps

Have you already tried pulling codes with your scan tool? Were you successful in communicating with the ECM? What were the codes?

Also, use the multimeter and check battery voltage at each battery with one negative cable disconnected, post back the results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

It does communicate with the ecu yes. No codes presentBattery voltage is roughly 12.5v at each. I'm pretty sure the batteries are fine they are only 5months old both replaced at the same time.Also when I jump the wire on the starter to the battery it cranks normally.

Use your scan tool and monitor the datastream. Crank the engine by bypassing the starter like you did and let me know if the scan tool picks up an RPM signal from Cam or crank sensor..

Plugged in the snap on scanner. Went into all the engine data. The RPM(engine speed per minute) signal didnt move under engine crank (had to jump starter) The ecu voltage didnt move from 11.614v even under crank. engine coolant temperature reads minus 2 deg and its 80deg outside.
Plugged my mini max back in after using the scan tool and I am getting a u1601 code. and also noticed my throttle position stayed at 0% too

That IS your problem. U1601 code means that there is aftermarket programming in the ecm. It appears that the ECM may have locked you out. Try using your Mini Max and program back to stock and see what happens. If that still doesn't work you will have no choice but to visit the dealer and have them program the ECM again and after that it should start... Either way, Make sure to program back to stock before going to the dealer so that your Mini Max won't get locked out...

Here is some additional info on the U1601 code. --->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 3 months ago

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

I have tried to uninstall the mini jazz but it seems to not recognize when the key is in the on position to hit continue.I cannot return it to stock and I'm worried if I have the dealer reflash the ecu then my $1000 tuner will be bricked. And H&S no longer support their tuners.Not sure what the best course of action is at this point? And idea why the tuner wouldn't recognize this key position?

You stated: "Not sure what the best course of action is at this point? And idea why the tuner wouldn't recognize this key position?"

Very possible that the ECM is fried. It is not that the key on is detected by the tuner, it is that the ECM sends a message on the BUS which the tuner normally picks up this message after a key on. If the ECM is bad, you won't get this message sent. This may be why the Tuner won't detect the Key on.... At this time you may have no choice but to have the dealer attempt to reflash back to stock. If it still doesn't work you will need to replace the ECM. At this point. If you can't get the tuner to detect the key on you may be stuck with a bricked tuner either way...

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master