Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum with a 2.7L engine with. P0038

code on bank 1, sensor...
I have a 2008 Dodge Magnum with a 2.7L engine with. P0038 code on bank 1, sensor 2 (downstream). We replaced the O2 sensor. CEL still on. There is no power to the sensor from the pcm, but there is continuity from thepcm to the O2 sensor. Is this a pcm problem or something else?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Mostly constant with a lack of power, but it does fluctuate at higher speeds
JA: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes - so far the initial codes were P0420 and P430. I replaced all of the sensors. Then came up with the P0038 code. Then started checking for power to the hewed circuit and then the continuity check.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It didhave an extension on both down stream sensors which I did not replace.
9/18/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Reference voltage come from the PCM to the HO2S sensors and on bank 1 sensor #2 the power feed at the PCM is pin 17 (Brown/violet) . Is that the wire and pin your checking?

No not yet

Okay that in most cases means the problem is with the PCM if the wire ohms out okay. That being said I would go back and recheck it once more to be sure with the factory steps I have enclosed in the link below. If you find the same results then suspect the PCM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ueynnts2fwzwe1e/P0038%20Sep%2018.pdf?dl=0

Thanks. I will go back and re-verify per the instructions.

I would just to be sure. Thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ron, where is the z902 wire and/or connected? I seee a z904 on the wiring diagram but not the 902 wire.
Do you have the pcm verification test noted in the PDF?

The Z904 is the Ground 109 located at the shock tower, see the location in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l37takwgyfh8cji/G109%20Sep%2019.pdf?dl=0

Thank you once again.Ok here goes. I cleaned the ground at z902 and it is 12.9 v to the battery positive.The voltage at k299 pin wa 2.19mv.There was no resistance between the k299 and the z904 on the O2 heater circuit.Do you think this is the pcm?BTW - this vehicle passed smog in May. When we bought it a week ago the CEL was not on. Then it came on with a 420 nad 430 code, The only changes made since then that I know of is rpelacement of the O2 sensors which included an adapter of sorts on the down stream sensors that is intended for high performance headers. I did not replace the adapters because they were stripped out.
1.19 mv at k299 not 2.19 mv

From reading your results and providing you have done your testing right it sure dose look like the PCM is at fault here.

Ok thank you.One more question off the beaten path. There is an open connector (2 prong) on the back of the engine that doe s not seem to have a home. The wire harness seems to go to the back of the engine block. Any idea what this is.

Unfortunately with out being have to have a look at it I do not know where it would go. It could just be a connector for something your car is not equipped with.

Thanks for the follow up. Based on pour help nad assistance, we have ordered a PCM and we awaiting arrival.That said, I know I am on a 7 day trial. At this time, I do not want to extend to a full or more permanent membership. Thanks for the offer, but I prefer to use your resources as needed in the future. Thanks.

I have no control over what type of plan you have. You will need to contact customer support for any questions you have on this . Thank you as well.

Ron,Looking at a wiring issue with a couple of open wires in the engine compartment. My shop manual does not have the engine harness. There are two wires that are opened up and have been spliced but are not connected to anything. There is also that open plug discussed earlier.My question is do you have a wiring diagram for the engine harness that you can send to me.Thanks again for your help.

Chrysler only offers wiring for the circuits and dose not offer any for the Harness as a whole. If you know the circuit I can provide a wiring diagram.

One is the camshaft sensor.The one with the open wires some out of the same harness as the mass air flow sensor, but not sure what circuit. I think hate in-used plug that comes from the back of the engine is the abs circuit, but that is a guess based on a picture you sent last week.
Thank you

Your very welcome and thank you as well.

Good afternoon Ron,We got a reman PCM and now the vehicle has three codes (P0038, P0340, and P0344) the two new ones are camshaft sensor and/or wiring which makes sense because the vehicle is hard starting with a long crank. Not sure why the old PCM did not pick it up.I have replaced both camshaft sensor and crankshaft sensors, as well as validated continuity of the wire harness to the PCM. However, the wires to the crankshaft sensor are not where the wiring schematic said they should/3 on the PCM C2 connector. So, I am confused. Any ideas with this limited information?

One other cause for the cam codes your getting to set can be cause by cam timing, are you sure the timing is aligned correctly and your chain has not jumper?

Would get engine still run ok with the mechanical timing off a notch? Because the. Engine runs real smooth.

In most cases it would not. If you did not have these codes before the ECM replacement them I would wonder if the replacement PCM is defective.

I am sure it is possible, but the vehicle did pick up power and runs much smoother with the exception of the codes referenced. For all intents, I feel the pcm is good, no real solid answer as to why except my gut. Instinct.

If you clear them out do the return?

Is the s110 contact point a ground. The camshaft sensor appears to not be grounded. There are three wires, a power which is yellow and pink, and a blue & Grey and a blue and green. The blue and green goes to s110 which I assume is ground????

Splice S110 is the ground supplied to the sensors from the PCM See the link below for the wiring diagram.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8vjvdfhagjc4lwj/sensor%20wiring%20Oct%204.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good evening, Ron —-On the above noted vehicle (‘08 Magnum w/ 2.7L engine), we are still struggling with the P038 and P0340 code. At the last communication, there was also a P0344 code, but that seems to be gone.As a reference and at a higher level, the following will be a summary of activists on this vehicle repair. We bought the vehicle used with the only problem berg a long crank on start. Shortly after purchase we had the CEL come on with two codes (P0420 and P0430). We replaced all four of the O2 sensors and then a new code appeared (P0038), which is where we started our conversations. After some repairs and diagnosis, we replaced the PCM from a company out of Florida called Auto Module Sourcing. It was a plug and play flashed by AMS. Upon installation, a new code appeared (P00340). We have been focused on the P0340 and the camshaft sensor, the crankshaft sensor, and the wiring.We also took it to an independent repair shop that specializes in auto electric and electronics. After a substantial time, they advised that the problem was mechanical timing which was prompted by a scope of the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor. We have replaced the timing chain and re-aligned the four camshaft and the crankshaft timing per the workshop manual and guides. So I am confident that the mechanical timing is fine. The engine has a long crank and will usually not start with the camshaft wiring connected to the camshaft sensor. The engine does run smoothly at idle and has reasonable low end performance. There is excessively low fuel mileage.To date, the following has been replaced or completed: Four O2 sensors, PCM, camshaft sensor, the crankshaft sensor, timing chain set, and spark plugs have been replaced.I am more focused on the P0340 code as it seems to impact the starting and, I assume, the fuel mileage. THe P038 is the O2 sensor heat circuit I will have to re-validate the wiring to and from the PCM.Based on our previous conversations and this lengthily update, any ideas?A question or two; the workshop manual mentions a PCM validation and a battery re-connection procedure, as well as a re-learn function. Are any of these valid?Thanks for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
An additional question —— does the pcm need to be flashed in the vehicle?
Ron, ASE Certified Technician