Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I need to know what size (gauge) cable runs from the

alternator to the battery in...
I need to know what size (gauge) cable runs from the alternator to the battery in a 2013 Dodge Charger SXT 3.6L. Also, if you can provide a routing diagram that would be helpful.
9/18/2017
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The gauge of the wire in question is a 4 gauge wire. Here I am including the electrical diagram for the circuits. The diagram has gauge and circuit information for each wire. I have included diagram information so that you are able to go over it.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Thank you for the response. If I upgrade my alternator from the 180 amp to the 220 amp do I need to upgrade the gauge of the wire from the alt. to batt.? If so what size? Thanks!

You are very welcome. This gauge wire will be good to use for this issue. If you are skeptical, you can upgrade to a 2 gauge wire. This will allow for proper current flow. You don't want to go too big, because this will cause charging issues.

Just curious, how would a larger gauge cause charging issues? I always thought the bigger the better when it came to wire and current flow. Thanks!

I have seen this warning for certain vehicles. Just relaying the information. I, personally, have not had an issue.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Ok. Thanks!
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician