Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Security link blinking on and off as well as cluster, no

Customer Question

Security link blinking on and off as well as cluster, no electronics working at all
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: Vehicle does nothing, 2005 Dodge ram 1500 5.7 v8, I'm thinking it's the ecm
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried to reset pcm, left battery cables off overnight and checked all fuses, and yes I am myself
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Battery is not leaking and is not dead
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No mam
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

can you describe the security light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just a red blinking light on dash

like a round red light and where is it on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Round red light right side of dash between speedometer and another gauge
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will beep and as it beeps cluster lights flash on and off
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The other day I was riding down the road and it shutoff on me, cranked up and then shut off again, then cranked and drove fine

sounds like your having a immobilizer issue have you tried a different key to see if it changes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried a different key and same issue, no chips in keys either
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh and light will blink on and off even when key is not in ignition, cluster will only flash when key is turned on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No door locks, lights, or anything works, only when key is turned on will cluster flash and even glovebox light will flash with them

sounds like something is going on with the bcm too, I would have it scanned for codes with a capable scanner, the ones at autozone wont get into some of the modules that may be causing your issue, and with those codes we can troubleshoot what the issue may be

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Bcm or ecm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well if it's a good chance it's a bad ecm I'm just going to order one then

bcm, but I wouldnt just start ordering parts, we need to have a good diagnostics done on a proper scanner