Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

We have a 1998 Dodge Neon that the speedometer will drop to…

Customer Question
We have a 1998...

We have a 1998 Dodge Neon that the speedometer will drop to zero while the car is in motion....any ideas why this is happening?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?

Have not tried anything...just trying to see if this is something that I can fix or do I need to find a mechanic?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this point

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/16/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 11 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Dual overhead cam or single overhead cam? Is the check engine light on?

Not sure what the cam status is but the check engine light did come on and went off while driving.

Does odometer still change mileage during problem?

Sorry...it is actually the speedometer, not the odometer..

I know but does odometer still count up mileage during problem or does it stop?

it continues to change...
The odometer continues to count up mileage...

This would mean the instrument cluster "gauge assembly" has failed. You can buy a used one from salvage yard with similar mileage and install yourself. You can look on ebay and www.car-parts.com for replacement part if they do not have one locally. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

thanks for your diagnosis!!

No problem, I'm happy to help. Thanks again and have a good evening.

Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago

Ever get it figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.