Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Car was running and then quit. Will not restart, but turns…

Car was running and...

Car was running and then quit. Will not restart, but turns over (battery and alternator good). Already replaced the cam sensor. Not running hot. The motor first stalled then restarted on its ojwn then quit completely.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you noticed any leaking?

Coolant fine. Not overheating. Gets oil changed )pure synthetic every 2-3000 miles.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 2,7 liter rear wheel drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We are trying to find out what it more than likely si, so we can get the parts and repair it. We have a code readier, but no faults are shown.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. We re looking into change the coil and transducer, but not sure if that will fix it. we just need a better idea of what could cause this. the moto was running fine, then quit. No smoke, no knocks, nothing.

9/16/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

May I start by getting your VIN and any stored codes in the computer?

Thank you!

There are no stored codes. We just bought the code reader device and this was the first time using it.
Vin. 2b3hd46r11h648370
R U still there?
My email is. ***@******.***

Thank you for the VIN

Have you checked for spark and fuel while cranking?

Our timing light to intuitively check for the spark is damaged. We r getting another one right now.

You can use a spark tester or screw driver in the mean time to check for spark.

Cat started. Ran then shut off again. It has fuel and spark

Ok, excellent!

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Now it does not start or tun. It shut down on it s own. I did not turn it off . I have a new crank sensor that we may to install. I am beginning to believe that is the problem.

Ok. Let me know.

Does that sound like the problem or could there be something else. Shows no codes and problem is intermittent.

So does the engine have spark now when cranking?

There is no way to tell. No spark plug wires

Ok, then I cannot say for sure if the crank sensor is at fault.

Is it possible? YES.

We already changed the crank sensor. Where is the spark relay that sends spark to each individual plug coil

In the PDC

What is that

Power distribution center.

Where is that located

Under the hood that contains the fuses.

Ok. The fuses are all good

ok, good

What else might it be

Too early to tell.

Which is the spark relay (looking at relay area from left to right)?

It is labeled ASD

It is a 30 amp fuses relay that can be pulled out and replaced?

YES sir that is correct.

We ate trying to see if the auto parts store has one. We already have a new crank sensor to change. Changing one or both of these should fix things. What about the auto shut off relay?

You will need to check engine compression sir.

The engine runs fine. It just quits after 10 to 15 mins

Ok, got it!

Then we need to check fuel pressure when this condition occurs.

Let me know!

The engine is running, but will stop inexcpectantly. We changed the auto sit off relay . The ADS is a 30A fuse, not a relay and it is good. The engine has stopped twice, but will restart (it would not before).

Was the cam and crank sensor replaced?

What about the fuel pump?

Only the cam sensor. We anew crank sensor, but have not changed it yet.
Do the crank sensors intermittently not work?

Ok, that would be your next step.

Also, dont forget about the fuel pump.

YES, the crank sensor can fail intermittently.

We have the crank sensor, so we will change it. That will take a while, lousy access.

Sounds good!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician