sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I went to get gas and turned it off. I went to turn it on

Customer Question

I went to get gas and turned it off. I went to turn it on and nothing. Had it towed home and just replaced the fuel pump but nothing
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: This is the original
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2x4 5.2L V8
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, checked all fuses and they are good. Just popped the new pump in a now start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

have you verified power to the pump? can you hear it run? are you getting any codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't hear anything at the pump. The only power I have is the gas gauge working
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I turn the key and no fuel is being pushed out and I cannot hear anything

ok have you verified power at the relay?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have no clue how to do that nor do not know where it is

the relay is in the under hood fuse panel location, you would need a voltmeter to check for power and ground, if you do not feel comfortable doing this I would recommend to have a mechanic do these checks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I have to go buy one

sounds good ill be around when your ready

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the meter and I'm ready to go
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition and it's going to require some electrical testing to determine what is going on. It sounds like the issue is deeper than just the fuel pump not running if the only thing that works is the fuel gauge. You may have a power distribution issue or simply a dead battery.

You opted out the person helping, preventing him from replying. Did you no longer need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tested the new pump with two live wires. The pump works, the gas gauge works so I know there is current running to the pump.The new pump came with a wire harness adapter to connect the new pump. I plugged a voltage meter red to red and black to black and he my father run on the inhibition and the voltage jumped for about 3 second. But when the pump is plugged in it won't even make a sound
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I need some one else's help as I need to get his thing back on the road asap

So the engine does crank and there are no other electrical problems, just a lack of fuel pump operation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that's correct!I can manually turn the pump on with the two hot wires and the truck turns over. It does when it runs out of fuel

Do you have an incandescent test light?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a probe; like a pick pointy thing with a ground wire that lights up

But does it have an incandescent bulb or is it an LED?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's a bulb

Ground the alligator clip and take the probe end to the terminal for the dark green/black wire in the pump connector. When cycling the key does the bulb light as brightly as if connected to the battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it lights up for about 3 seconds

Connect the alligator clip to battery positive and probe the terminal in the pump connector for the solid black wire. Does it light as brightly as if connected to the battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to run an extension cause my prob wasn't long enough,Hooked up to the positive in the battery. I probed the black wire on the new connector that came with the pump and nothing. However the two yellow wires light up

You want to test on the truck's fuel pump connector.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did that to and nothing off the solid black ground wire

There are two grounds on the left inner fender behind the power distribution center. The one you're concerned with is the closest to the PDC. Inspect it to make sure the wiring is intact. If ok then remove the nut, make sure the mounting surface and terminal are clean, reinstall it and see if you then have ground.

If not then you have an open circuit in the wire between this ground and the fuel pump connector.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cleaned both to be safe.One with two wires
The other a black box with 6 wires and still nothing

The wire is broken in between then.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What causes that and do you think that would fix the issue

The cause could only be determined after finding the problem. It could be physically damaged, pinched, internally corroded.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay on a personal note have you seen this before. Cause it was working perfectly fine one second and the next it wouldn't start

Yes, I've seen open circuits in wires numerous times over the years.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay. How much. Legally does this cost roughly
I don't understand your question?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I meant to say. How much normally does this cost to fix?

A shop would most likely charge an hour of labor to repair it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay if I were to look for it. How do I do so

You'll either need to visually inspect it and see if you can find damage or run a new wire.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
if I were to run a new groundCut Todd the old one and attach a new one the pump should work?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is it only the ground wire that is bad

Yes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay I'll try cutting the Ground and attaching a new one to a bolt. I'll let you know how I make out

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Still no luck

See if the black wire in the fuel pump connector lights the test light.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I grounded the new black wire. And clipped one end of the probe to the black (ground) and stuck the pic end in the green wire (positive) and turned the ignition and it lit up for about 3 seconds
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
But when I plug the pump in. The pump still won't turn on

If you have power to the dark green/black wire and there is now ground to the black wire then the truck is fine. The issue is with the pump itself or the connector adapter is wired wrong. You said that you were able to run the pump with jumper wires, note the pins that you used to do that and compare that to the wires in the connector that actually have power and ground.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I ran a jump wire from the original harness both positive and negative. From black and green to red and black. Turned the ignition on tested it with a probe and it lit up for 3 seconds. Plugged it in to the pump and did not turn on. When I turn the ignition to accessory
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
However I primed it with two live wires and the truck started. And the pump was running now nothing

The pump won't run when turning the key to accessory. It will run when turning the key to the run or crank position.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had my father turn the key and the pump wasn't turning on

If you now have power and ground on the two wires in the fuel pump connector then there is nothing wrong with the truck. The problem is either the fuel pump or the connector jumper is wired wrong. You need to compare the terminal locations on the pump to the terminal locations on the truck's connector to see if the jumper is wired correctly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Green wire from original harness with a jump to the red wire on the new pump connector And a around from the battery to the black wire on the new pump connector

If there is power and ground on these wires but the pump does not run then it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Even if the pump work when I hit it with live wires

You said that there is power and ground at these two wires in the connector. They are 'live'. You either have a bad pump or you're missing power or ground. There aren't any other possibilities.