Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Replace powersteering unit on1998 Dodge 2500 truck? One

Replace powersteering unit on1998 Dodge 2500 truck?
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: One Month ago. Yes, big noise and very hard to turn steering wheel.
JA: What year is your B2500?
Customer: 1998 2500 dodge diesel
JA: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had fluid replaced, one month ago. Problem persists, cannot drive on streets.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Engine is in top shape, not using oil, starts easily, clutch replaced 2 years ago, universal joints replaced one year ago.

HI,

The symptoms do point to the power steering pump. I have attached the directions for you to replace the pump

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your answer, I have a mechanic coming on Saturday to do the work. He probably has done this before, but I thought it was a good idea to get as much info- that will prevent costly mistakes. Also tells me the exact tools that will be needed to accomplish the work.
I will send more info when the job is completed,and how many hours it took us to finish it.Best regards,
Lee Powers

HI,

Ok, sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The work will be done today, 9/15/17. I will answer your question on Monday.
Thank you.
Lee Powers

Ok, no problem

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My "shade tree mechanic" did finish the job in 2 hours. Yes, he had some experience at it. He brought his own tools, I bought the new oil at an Advance Auto Parts, as well as the new pump.
I printed out the instructions you sent, he did not really need them, but I kept track of his progress that way.
Thank you very much for helping me understand how it was done.
Respectfully, *****

You are welcome

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My mechanic came on Saturday morning, and had it replaced in two hours. He had previous experience. I think he did a great job for me. Yes, your info helped me know how and what he had to do. The dodge dealer wanted $109.00 plus tax for just the labor,and I would have had to pay for towing charges.
You and your info did a great job, I am one happy camper. ***** Five Stars !
Thank you very much. Lee Powers

you are welcome