Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4. I am having frequent

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4. I am having frequent episodes where my dash cluster will flicker and other warning lights will flash and my headlights will even flicker. Started out as an occasional issue, but is getting more frequent and the warning lights randomly flashing just started with it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Yes. All seems to be ok. I have a new battery and alternator installed also

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Checked fuses, new battery, new alternator. When this happens I have also noticed the gauges may be acting strange also. Example. The voltage gauge may be reading high or the fuel gauge will jump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/14/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing that needs to be done here is to have the fault codes checked/read out using a fully compatible scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set then need diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue.In some cases a local parts store will read out these codes at no charge to you.They usually cannot diagnose the fault but can give you an idea of what is at fault.

I have seen internal electrical failures in the TIPM ( integrated power module) as well as the instrument cluster on this model here.Both are main computers for your vehicle and both are very common issues.I would say with what is occuring here the TIPM is most likely faulty.It controls the head lights as well as aids with control with the instrument cluster itself.Double check to make sure no wiring connections leading from the battery to the engine and fuse panels is loose or corroded as this can cause this fault here as well but if these are o.k. then the codes do need checked to help locate and repair the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete