Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

It is a 2005 Dodge Cummins It won't shut off when I turn the

Customer Question
It is a 2005 Dodge...
It is a 2005 Dodge Cummins It won't shut off when I turn the key off.
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Yes I drove the truck 50 miles and it won't shut off at the beginning and end of trip
JA: What is the model of your '05 Dodge?
Customer: 3500
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I turned the key off and I have been studying the computer chat rooms. I can not find a good picture of the shut off solenoid
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO I checked the fuse box and can not find the fuse for the solenoid
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/14/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 2 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

At this time, what are you having to do to get the engine to shut off?

a 2005 Dodge truck with a Cummins engine is NOT included with a Fuel Cutoff Solenoid. This engine does NOT use MECHANICAL fuel system. The 05 Cummins engine is FULLY ELECTRONIC. Has the vehicle been scanned for codes yet? If not, The best thing to do at this point is to scan for the "Diagnostic Trouble Codes" (DTC's) from the onboard computers. The DTC's are used as the Starting Point for diagnosis. They let you know which system(s) the fault is in. This information is of great value for correct diagnosis. As a Technician, my first course of action is normally to scan for the DTC's. If you can obtain these codes, we can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem. You can have these Codes read for FREE at your local auto part store (AutoZone, O'Reileys, Advanced, etc.). If you post these Diagnostic Trouble Codes here, I can obtain the most accurate information to help you diagnose the Concern, and then point you towards the correct repair.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master