Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

98 ram 1500 2wd auto won't crank battery and starter ,seem,

98 ram 1500 2wd auto...
98 ram 1500 2wd auto won't crank battery and starter ,seem
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: not getting any interior or dash lights
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Battery remove starter tested good, replaces ignition cylinder and housing it goes in
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
9/13/2017
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Have you checked the starting circuit?

Would a wiring diagram of the starting circuit help?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Ok, sounds good.

Please request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

In I mean yes I checked starting circuit no dash lites

Ok what were the results when you checked the starting circuit?

Batt 12.5 volts starter good

And was there power down at the starter?

Removed starter had tested checked ok

Ok so we did not check power down at the starter.

May I start by getting your VIN and or engine size please?

5.2 liter

Thank you

Ok

You need to start by checking the inputs to the starter relay with the key turned to the CRANK position. This will require an assistant to help with this. There should be TWO powers and one ground going into the relay with the key in the CRANK position.

Please check this and let me know!

Have three inputs with 9 volts one with zero

So all inputs to the relay check out good?

I guess

Please double check.

What exactly am I looking for voltage?

On the female pins where the relay plugs into.

Two have ten volts one has.3one has zero

Does the relay click when the key is turned to the crank position?

Ye

And is there power leaving the relay when it clicks?

How do I check?

The same way you checked power going into the relay. :)

5.2 ,1.3,.15 and zero

I dont think you are testing it correctly.

Would you be willing to speak on the phone now?

I can lower the cost of the phone call down to $5 bucks

Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Ok(###) ###-####
Battery terminals are clean. Still no crank

Ok, now we check for power on ALL fuses under the hood with the key in the CRANK position.

Before I could check all the fuses the positive terminal on the battery is hot and smoking

It should not be hot and smoking. This is usually due to a faulty connection. Maybe the terminal or the complete wire/cable needs to be replaced.

Ok thank you

You are most welcome sir.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician