Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Second opinion] 2004 dodge ram 5.7JA: Okay, I'll connect you

Second opinion] 2004 dodge ram 5.7JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?Customer: Having issues/ truck will not turn over.... All the lights come on the heater bells and whistles.... But the little electronic box around the gear selector is not showing up.... My red blinking light is not blinking(security sensor) absolutely nothing.JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge Ram. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?Customer: History: a park the truck for two weeks on a sidehill...... went to start the truck the battery was completely dead/no lights no nothing. Give it a quick jump to 300 amp jumpstart.... It recharge the battery just fine but not anything else/truck would not start..... Bells and whistles came on lights came on heater came on.... But the truck would not startSwapped batteries out of my working truck..... Replaced battery terminal with a brand-new one..... Checked all the fuses.... Even check the fuses underneath the steering column (I believe there was a 30 amp and 2-25 A under their).Put graphite in the ignition switch.... Jiggled the key around still nothing.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Is it possible for you to get a scan tool connected to the truck and see if it will communicate with the PCM (engine computer )?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says it cannot communicate with the vehicle

Ok, I thought so. You have a failed PCM. If all fuses are good, and no communication, try this last test: Disconnect the cam,crank, TPS, MAP and AC transducer sensors. See if it will now communicate. If so, then one of those sensors is shorted and pulling the PCM's 5 volt reference down, and that sensor will need to be replaced. If it still will not communicate after doing this, then replace the PCM.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can you give me diagram for these sensors ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All fuses are good..... I've tested the starter relay/ I have two ports of power with the key turned to start/ I have power in and out of the ignition.... As I said before I've jumped the starter relay and there is power to the starter.I even changed out the ignition control module/ O'Reillys told me I get my money back if it didn't work..... Which it made no difference.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What I can't figure out.... I have no gearbox light on my dash .... So no illuminated box around Park, reverse, neutral, drive ect..
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All the bells and whistles come on when I click the key to the run position..... But when I turned the key forward to start there is no response not even the gauges are working.... I plugged in my tuner and it won't even register my vehicle.
The reason you have no PRNDL lights is because the PCM on that truck also controls the transmission. If the PCM is dead, then the PRNDL will not display.Chris
Hello, just checking back to see if you need further assistance. If so, please let me know. If not, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service or accept my answer? I would really appreciate it.Thank you!Chris
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
i ordered a new PCM flashed and updated...and nothing ..still doing the same thing! what now?
Does your scan tool stil unable to communicate with the PCM?
Chris
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
no go on communication
Ok, let me research this some more and see what else it may be. I am probably going to ask you to check for power and ground at the PCM connector. Get a 12 volt test light or digital volt meter if you can.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay just a recap.... The truck seem to be hesitating and cutting out, I presume this was a fuel filter issue/I parked the truck for two weeks on a sidehill. When I went to move the truck it was completely dead no power whatsoever. I grabbed my battery charger put it on 300 cranking amps/ quick start.... All the lights bells and whistles came on but the truck would not turn over..... I noticed there was no gear selector box around any of the indicators { PRND21] .....I have tested all the fuses with the key on and with the key off all our good.
- I have jumped the starter relay..... The motor will turn over but not fire.(Power is going to the starter)
- I put a new electronic ignition in.... It change nothing (I did not replace the tumblers and the key)
-I purchased a new PCM /re-flashed and programmed.... It did not change anything.
- IAT sensor reads 0.0... With key on and off
- MAP sensor reads 0.0 with key on and key off
-TBS sensor reads 0.0 with key on in key off
-crankshaft sensor-- have not tested yet
- cam shaft sensor reads 0.0 with key on in key off
- speed sensor/ I have not checked this yet.
PCM 1- top module ... 0.0 on all ports
2 module..... I had a very low 0.6 reading
3 module ..... I had a 12.0 reading
4 bottom module .... I had 0.0 on everything.
It seems like my PCM is not getting any power..... Is there a security lockout?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
when I mean wouldn't turn over it wouldn't even fire or turn over/just nothing.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
What a neutral safety switch cause this issue?
If it were a security issue, you would still have voltage readings on all of the sensors. So this is not the issue.
Try disconnecting all of the sensors and then see if it will communicate with the scan tool.
Chris
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The only sensor I did not had a chance to disconnect was the crank shaft sensor and the speed sensor & range sensor.... All others were disconnected in tried to have the scanner communicate.... It says unable to communicate.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will crawl under the truck tomorrow morning and disconnect these last three sensors.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I've even switched batteries out of my other truck and replaced battery terminals and cleaned up a few of the ground wires.
Ok, well do that sensor disconnect and let me know what you find tomorrow
Chris
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
disconnected the cam and crank sensors...still no communication with reader.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
when under the truck i notices one of my grounds (ribbon type cut in half....wired it back up best i could with wire ...sill nothing
Ok, let me think about this some more and get back to you.
Chris
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
need wiring diagram for truck
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
i found a disconnected car alarm (viper) looks like some one or something pulled it apart...i hooked it up...now red light blinks ....also found a 30amp fuse blown...fixed that as well ...i took photos of some lose wires (the blue one has power)
Let me see what I can find as far as wiring diagrams.
Chris
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Good this be the neutral safety switch?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Could*
Possibly, try this : disconnect the starter relay and look at the bottom of it you will see that the terminals are numbered. Locate terminals #30 and #87. Now look at where those terminals plug into the relay cavities in the fuse relay box. Get a small jumper wire and jump cavity 87 to 30. Let me know if it cranks. If it does crank, then turn the key on and jump them again and see if it will start.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
tried
this first...way before...it turns over but wont fire.
Then it is not the neutral safety switch. Any way that you can get rent a scan tool that will display real time sensor data? That would be a huge help at this point.
Chris
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
what is the name of the tool?
There are several brands, but you want a OBD 2 scan tool that will display sensor data. Your auto parts store can show you a few, and places like Sears or Walmart sell them also.
Chris
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
the scanner cannot communicate
you are 100% certain that there are no blown fuses in the underhood fuse box?
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Positive
Ok, I am flying home at the moment. But tomorrow when I have access to my laptop, I will send you a picture of the PCM connector. I want to be sure that the battery feed and ignition on feed are actually present at the connector. We have to do this step before going any further.
Chris
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
i have a power probe and OBD 2 scanner ....scanner can not communicate with the PCM ....I have took off the fuse box its self and probed power...its good going under the fuse box....i need to know what ports/pins to test for the PCM.
I will send you a picture of the connector when I get home tomorrow. Then you will be able to see which terminals to probe.
Chris
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
any luck on pics?
Just got home late last night. Will send pics within the hour.
Chris

Okay, click on the link below to see the connector I have highlighted the terminals that should have power. be sure the ignition switch is on when checking them.

Chris

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
ok pin 11 was 11.7 pin 12 was 11.7 & pin 29 was low...it started 2.0...but i held it on and it dropped to 0.6
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i did find a bad fuse in the beginning to the ac ...replaced....also found big hole in top hose to AC...so i just took that off and and looking at replacing that hose form junk yard.....so it is has a top AC hose disconnected
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
don't know if that matters?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.

Ok, pin 29 should show close to 12 volts all the time. So that is an issue. Let me see where Pin 29 gets it's power from.

Chris

Ok, terminal # 29 gets it's power from fuse # 23 in the under hood fuse box/PDC. See if that fuse is good, and if there is close to 12 volts on the little test tabs on the fuse (both test points need to have power). I have to run an errand but will have my phone with me and can check in with you through it.

Chris

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
fuse is good test perfect 11.6 on both sides
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
i pulled it with other fuse just to see...its the same ...good both points test 11.6
Then we have a circuit wiring harness problem somewhere between the fuse box and PCM connector. I will research this when I get back home.
Chris
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
any luck?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
what color the wire is? is this connected to C1 cluster under the fuse box ? dose this trace back under the dash/under stearing wheel?

It will be a solid red wire and goes from the fuse box (IPM) to the C130 connector under the hood, then to the PCM. C130 is near the PCM.

Here is a picture:

Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
FUSE BOX ipm? is this under the hood?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
what cluster is it under the fuse box?
The C13o connector is near the PCM under the hood. Look at the picture I sent.
Chris
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
ok .06 power on sold red wire in c131
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
under the fuse box there is many connections...witch cluster is the one that goes to c131? ...anyway i tested all cluster solid red wires they all have power 11.8 or 12.0
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
it looks like power goes inside and up around the top of the motor to c131
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
what could be in between? any fuse-able links?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
thing was running perfect...then dead battery ...jump the dam thing and bam no start again lol how?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
is it possible to have a bad battery that has enuf amps to turn over motor but not enuff amps to in gauge PCM?
No, It is not a battery issue. If it can crank it, then there is sufficient amperage to power up the PCM. Try this : See if you can find that solid red wire going to the C1 PCM connector for terminal 29. Shave a little insulation off of it. Then get a small jumper wire and connect one end to the positive battery post, and the other end to that red wire. See if it will start.
Chris
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
STARTED RIGHT UP....
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Now what...

Aha! Now we are getting somewhere. So that tells me there is excessive resistance in that red wire somewhere between the IPM (underhood fuse box) and the PCM. Disconnect that C130 connector ( location is shown in the picture I sent you earlier today). See if there is corrosion, or damaged terminals in the connector. If not, then you could always run a permanent wire from the battery positive cable to the red wire on the PCM and solder it so it has a good connection. That would work for now.

Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
c130 dose not have power..its only 0.6...where dose the wire go from c130

One end goes to the fuse box Where it gets it's power (should be 12 volts) and the other end goes to the C1 terminal 29 connector at the PCM. So if you only have 0.6 at the C130, then the problem is either inside of the IPM /fuse box, or a wire issue in the harness between the the IPM/fuse box and C130 connector.

Chris

So maybe the cheapest way to resolve this is to run a separate wire from the positive battery cable to the PCM C1 connector red wire and solder it/tape it.

Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
should i put a fuse-able link in the wire?

That would be a very good idea. Maybe an inline fuse holder with a 20 amp fuse in it. You can get that from your auto parts store.

Chris

Thank you! Glad we finally got this one figured out!

Thank you for using just answer!

Chris

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
WELL...not so fast lol....truck starts...but acts like in limp mode throws codes now of p0700 (transmission control system request ) and p0846 (2-4 or 2c pressure switch rationality )
Do you still have the old PCM? If so. Plug it in and see if it still goes into limp in. May be something wrong with the new PCM.
Chris