david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L engine. I have

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L engine. I have replaced the engine wiring harness and I have one more connector for a sensor I cannot reach. It is in the rear of the engine, and the pigtail is wrapped in foil. I first thought this was the crank position sensor, but it isn't. I tried using a boroscope to locate the connector, no luck. How do I reach this sensor to complete the harness installation?

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. what colors are the wires? is it on the left rear or the right rear?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not with the vehicle now, and cannot remember the colors. There are two wires, each with a stripe. the wires are wrapped with foil heat shield material, the pigtail is 12"-14" long. It comes from the harness on the right side of the engine that also connects the crank position sensor, O2 sensor, and a few transmission connectors.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The pigtail also has a plastic barbed fastener to attach it to a bracket, about halfway to the connector.

that doesnt help much but I will try to figure it out

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I wasn't able to disconnect the old one, so I cut the wires away from the old harness. The wire colors on the old pigtail and on the new one were different colors. I am unable to turn the engine over without it being connected. This connector/pigtail was the only one in the entire harness that was foil wrapped. The old one, as much as I could follow is under the exhaust manifold.

anything on here?

?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Knock sensor. I remember having to get under b the car to change it since time ago. If not connected, is this a crank permissive? I had tried starting the car, aND it wouldnt turn over at all. Battery was charged.

not having the knock sensor connected should have no affect on the vehicle starting

so the vehicles engine isnt even cranking?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not since I changed out the harness. There was some bad wiring that had been repaired by a shop, so the entire harness and fuel injection wiring was changed out. I may have a bad connection somewhere, but I check the obvious ones that I could get my hands on without taking off the intake manifold, relay center, PCM, Air filter housing, etc.

have you tried removing the starter relay and jumping across the terminals to see if the starter cranks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that. At least now I know where that connector goes. It has been so long since I changed out that sensor, I forgot all about it. I wasn't able to find a decent sensor layout diagram online. You were very helpful.

Ok, Ill still be available to continue to assist

hows it going?

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will keep the chat open for further follow up questions you may have. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.