Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 1998 Dodge has a good battery the key turns on but won't…

Customer Question
My 1998 Dodge has...

My 1998 Dodge has a good battery the key turns on but won't start up and the odometers are not lighting up the mileage

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes the sternal turns on the ignition turns fully to the start position but won't start the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '98 Dodge?

It is a Dodge Caravan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put a new ignition switch I jump the starter and the starter does turn over so the battery is good but the key is not telling it to turn over

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a possible relay that I'm missing or fuse that I can check

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/12/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 11 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Are you saying that the engine does not crank over using the key?

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

What size engine do you have?

May I start by getting your VIN?

Thank you!

Engine don't turn over when I turn key all the lights comes on check engine light then turns off as well ass the others abs etc. the one thing that don't turn on is the odometer it seems to be a electrical problem I changed the electric ignition switch and that didn't seem to fix it

Thank you for that information. I agree. It sounds like it is related.

HAve you checked for codes in the computer?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?