Don - Mo Lurch
Don - Mo Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years
1609972

I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 V8 5.2. I bought this a few

good afternoon, I have a 1996 dodge ram 1500 V8 5.2. I bought this a few years ago used. I never paid attention to the ABS system. I dont see an ABS light when I turn on the truck. I was told that some one could have tinkered with it.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: No all lights go off after a couple of secs
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Here's the issue. My truck is in Mexico. I go there a few times a year. I have a mechanic there in town. I usually get my parts here and take it with me.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: connect me to who?

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. you can remove the instrument cluster and take the back off to see if the abs light is missing or burnt out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
David. I'll will do that. Here is the situation. My truck is in Mexico. I go there a few times a year. I'll be back there in Dec. As I mentioned I bought this truck a few years ago used. I never paid attention to this issue until now. What would you suggest I do if I found out the light bulb is missing? An adjuster friend of mine told me he know that this not too uncommon when someone sell a vehicle and if there was an issue with the ABS they just remove the light bulb before selling a vehicle. I dont want to jump the gun here but if this is the case. What would you recommend? I would have to buy the parts needed here in in the States because I live in a remote area there. What must I buy to replace the whole ABS system? Dont you think I should do this anyway? this truck is a 1996 model. I have repainted it and the engine has just been overhauled too 6 months ago. I live in a very mountainous area and do not want to mess around with the brakes. 2 mechanics have checked out the brakes and they say it's fine. No errors messages is coming up on their diagnostics, but I can feel the truck skids and brakes lock up when I brake suddenly. I know something does not feel right, so I always drive carefully, but it has happened a few times that someone will swerve in front of me the last moment and then the brakes dont play along. They also told me that because of the high humidity, high rainfall and muddy dirt roads that the sensors get wet/dirty and does not work the way it should? Really? what do you think?

let me think about this for a while my friend

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thank you yes it was a mouthful.

lol...but well explained

ill be with you in a few

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good morning Craig. Have you had a chance to think about what to do about this?

I have and it defintely sounds like an abs issue, and I have seen this happen without throwing codes. and the only fix is to replace the front wheel/hub bearing assemblies with genuine mopar parts. they will come with new sensors also. aftermarket parts will not get rid of this issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Good afternoon Craig. Thank you for the advise. What is Mopar parts? Where do I get hold of this? The dealership? they pretty pricey. Can I order this online? Any suggestions where to get these online?

mopar parts are what the vehicle was built with. you can find them online yes. try rockauto.com

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you David. I just tried to order these from Rockauto. I'm looking at a number of parts and I have no idea what to order. it's not clear which parts are original and which front parts are the wheel/hub bearing assemblies. Could you please help me to make sure that I order the correct parts? I would really appreciate this.

ok. standby

can you check for me to see if you have 4 wheel abs or just 2

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just***** 5.2 V8 1996 Dodge Ram

ok

That makes a huge difference being a 2wd. I would make sure the truck even has ABS.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok now I"m really confused. I downloaded a repair manual. I dont think this is the original manual. See link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwqjdgyhond9x77/96%20Dodge%20Ram%20Truck%20Service_Manual.pdf?dl=0
According to this manual it does. Unless I dont interpret it correctly. Please take a look at this and let me know. I dont have the original manual.

ok, Im going to opt out here as Im not familiar with the 2wd abs set up and I dont want tyo give you the wrong information. someone will be with you shortly. please dont reply back as it will take your question off the board.

Can you post the complete V.I.N.?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1B7HC13Y3TJ150751

Your truck appears to have Rear Wheel Anti Lock Brakes
You can remove the Cluster & have a look to see if the RWAL Module is there
Click Attachment Below
This is how it works:

In normal braking mode, the antilock solenoid valves are inactive. The valves are open allowing normal fluid flow to the rear wheel cylinders.

When high pedal effort braking occurs, the decrease in exciter wheel rotating speed is noted and converted into an electronic signal by the sensor. The signal is transmitted to and processed by the control module. The module determines that acceptable limits of wheel slip/deceleration are about to be exceeded. The module activates the antilock solenoid valves at this point.

The module transmits a signal that activates the solenoid valves. The valves then decrease, or isolate fluid apply pressure to the rear wheel cylinders as needed.

Closing the valves prevents further fluid flow to the rear wheel cylinders. This action isolates the rear brakes from the master cylinder. The net effect is to decrease rear brake apply pressure to the point where the wheels will continue to rotate but not lock.

When rear brake pressure requirements return to normal levels, the solenoid valves are inactivated. This action allows the resumption of normal fluid flow to the wheel cylinders.

.

The issue you posted almost sounds like it is not being driven enough & the Brakes are basically locking up in the rear, regardless if it is easy (normal) or hard braking (Anti-Lock)

.

A good Brake Shop should be able to identify the problem in less than an hour

.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you for your response. I will follow your advice. As I mentioned before the truck is in Mexico and i'm going back there in December. I will check the light/cluster panel first thing. Since this is a 1996 model and i'm trying to keep up with it's maintenance. Is there anything you could suggest I order here in the US before heading down there in December. Im on the coast there in a remote area so spare parts are not always accessible.? Shouldnt I replace some or parts of the ABS since it is that old? what do you recommend I'll take with me before I have a proper diagnosis again. I use a few mechanics down there but I dont always trust their advise.

I understand the distance & wanting to get it repaired, but I am not a fan of "just replacing Parts", until I know what the issue is.
The year should be able to be repaired in Mexico, as they are pretty knowledgeable on these trucks in larger towns.
IF the braking is that noticeable I am sure most Techs there can pinpoint

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you. I will follow your advise.

Thanks.........
Let me know if you need further.........

Thanks for using J/A

Experience: Cert. Dodge & Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years