Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I have a 2010 dodge ram 1500 Hemi two wheel drive. The

Customer Question

I have a 2010 dodge ram 1500 Hemi two wheel drive. The transmission stopped moving in any gear without warning. It wasn't slipping prior to failure. The mechanic connected to it and it's giving a speed sensor error. It's my understanding that the tranny should have gone into limp mod. The tranny doesn't move in any gear at all. Could the converter have died? Also, only 58,000 miles and fluid is clean.
JA: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?
Customer: not sure what it has
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked converter bolts and inspected the fluid and pan for debris. all looks good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the shifter feel like it is shifting in and out of gear properly with this issue here and has the shifter cable been checked to make sure it has not come disconnected or is broken at all?

Are you hearing any noises at all when in gear trying to move or revving up the engine?

What is the fault code number the mechanic had?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Shifter cable is OK. I was idle in neutral talking to a neighbor, when I put the truck back in gear I thought I heard a clunk then nothing after that, no noise at all. Revving the engine did nothing It just stopped going into gear. Two codes, PO716 and PO721.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is this a one time billing? How much am I being billed already?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for any delay.Any billing questions have to be taken up with customer care in the link below.I can continue here and am looking over your info now.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

These two codes are related.They indicate there is a difference in speed from the input shaft to the output shaft.This can cause the computer to put the transmission into a fail safe mode causing what has happened here.The diagnosis for the first code needs completed to pinpoint this issue.What alarms me though is the noise you hear.The clunk noise can indicate a possible break in the input shaft itself which will cause this fault suddenly.If the diagnosis below points to all circuits being o.k. then the transmission will need to be inspected internally further to see if the input shaft did break or possibly the torque converter failed and is not allowing the input shaft to spin properly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mb1o9c1el266ji2/in-09-12.pdf?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete