Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician with over 20 years experience.
1627031

Truck runs great then just falls on its face. Maintains a

Customer Question

Truck runs great then just falls on its face. Maintains a smooth idle and doesn't die but will not rev. If I sit at idle for maybe 30 seconds I can go from there like nothing ever happened. It will happen repeatedly if i am under load like climbing hills. I have a code for a cat below threshold and for a large leak in the evap. Not sure if they are related. What do you think?
JA: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?
Customer: Fuel lines? Truck has over 200k. I have not owned it that long. I live in the sierras so yeah, up and down all the time.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2000 Dakota 4.7 4x4.
JA: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I do everything myself. I have not done anything yet. I have seen a lot of things but this one is new.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: There was a fuel leak from somewhere around the tank that I haven't located yet. The truck has been down for a while for overheating issues. The fuel leak was next.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** the problem arises is there zero throttle response until it starts working again or is there just little power?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I almost want to say zero throttle response. I can hear the change in airflow but no real reaction from the engine.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I would rather text so I can refer back to the conversation.

It is possible that this is due to the catalytic converter failing. If it becomes clogged when it get shot then this will occur. You would need to either have an exhaust shop check the backpressure or you could test it with a vacuum gauge when the problem is occurring. It can also be a failure in the throttle position sensor so that can be tested with a scan tool that reads engine data.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is happening inside the cat that it would do that?

When a cat deteriorates the honeycomb inside starts to restrict the flow of exhaust. When this occurs the engine will act like this because it cannot get rid of the exhaust from the engine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I get that part but how is it able to "recover" and allow me to drive away 30 sec later?

It really depends on what it is doing internally. I will usually check to see if it is clogged as well as monitor all of the sensor signals when the problem is occurring to see if any of them are reading incorrectly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it's the TPS, would it throw a code for that?

Not always. If it is just a little off it can affect the throttle response without throwing a code.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will investigate and get back to you tomorrow.

Please let me know if you need more help.