Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 w/360 engine/auto.the battery

Customer Question

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 w/360 engine/auto.the battery goes dead after sitting 3-4 days. ck battery 6 charging system-good,pulled each fuse & relays seperatly but still have 12 volt draw?-help.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: yes.
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tryed to find 12 volt draw on battery with truck sitting with every thing off!
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the battery has been replaced,I have tryed disconnected power wire to alt to ck if this was drawing down the battery-no luck.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 1 month ago.

Hello My name is ***** ***** I can assist you. A parasitic draw is measured in milliamps or if very large amps. You cant measure volts. Does your multimeter have the capabilities of hooking up an inductive amp probe? If not you can put it on amps and inline with one of the battery cables but if the parasitic draw is too big it will burn your fuse.

Let me know what you have and we can go from there.