Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service &Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

When you turn the key everything lights up but nothing

Customer Question

when you turn the key everything lights up but nothing happens
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: is in park, it does not start in neutral and I dont know about the "wheel lock"
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2011 dodge grand caravan mainstreet
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just charged the battery and try to diagnostic with a scanner but no code
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: before everything stated in my way home the abs and trac control light went on and turn off my cruise control. try the scanner and then it just woulnt start.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

If battery die or weak ,it could have triggered Anti theft on , if no starter and all light up , is there security light g]fasking in dash or steady on

what scaner was used to scan ,basic code reader ,they can only read engine and abs for most parts if you have fault in antitheft or bcm or vcm module it will nt see the module to retroeve if you are not using a dodge or equivalent scaner

lets try Manual Resetting it ,make sure we have 12 volts on battery and holding , check it ,if weak or low it will nit reset

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 30 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know & we go from there

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im not sure about the ligth? I will try the reset. it is possible that the scanner damaged something?

What kind of scanner is ,give model and name and i can tell you if it capable ?

you will see either a key symbol or lock symbol , probably yellow in color on dash for security but if every thing was fine before battery died , i suspect the anti theft

but we need to test it

do reset and we go from there ,if you have test light be nice to check all fuses ,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did the reset, just waiting for the 30 min to pass. The battery did not die, I just charged up because some forums said it could be a low batt but it measure about 12.6. I still overnight charge it to get that option out of the way. No anti theft light was on.

ok lets hope for the best, ***** ***** we go further ,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do not mind me asking ,are you looking at fixing this yourself or looking to know the most possible cause of this issue and taking it to repair shop for the work ?

Do you have any prior experience in electrical troubleshooting and testing with a test light for power & ground ?

Do you have a test light & or power probe for testing ?

Do you have a test light so we can check for spark ?

Do you have fuel pressure tester to check for fuel ?

The key on the battery , leave voltmeter on and have one person at switch and at the time it is in start position ,do you still see 12.6 or it is dropping below 10.7 ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The engine dont turn at all. The scanner is a veepeak OBDCheck VP30. Im trying to fix it my self. Some experience. Electronic tech but not in auto. Have test light and voltmeter

click on link and tell me if you can view starting system wiring circuit for your vehicle

locate this box under hood

pull cover & tell me what you see , fuses only or fuse and relays ,this looks like TIPM MODULE ,Basically starter relay is built in it

i can not tell with out a vin but i believe so

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fuses and relays. What should I be looking for?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im waiting for the 30 min to reconnect the batt
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 7 more min

I see starter relay ,run /crank relay is there label back cover on fuse box ?

let do reset first

no problem you good i m here :)

but it looks to me based on diagram , they are 2 internal , but i see 2 external ,

snap a picture & uploaded to me here ,u can do that

look for paper clip you can send attachment ,pictures but no video

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
here the pic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Connected the battery and nothing

in that box in pic u sent there is 2 square relays , swap them

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what next?

The TIPM cover is easily removed for service access and has a convenient fuse layout label affixed to the inside surface of the cover to ensure proper component identification.

you need to look and tell me if that label is there ,it should be ,look for starter and run crank relay

the picture u send i can not make it out on that label

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
got it

ok i think i see K3

look for k3 relay ,the 2nd small gray relay from the 3 small relays in a row is out starter relay ,swap it

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
starter sol rly and run start rly. k3, k4

K1 K2 K3 & K4 are all starter related ?

if all these relays checks out , then you need to replace TIPM

now we have Chrysler specific scanner to confirm this and obdII reader want do it

but tipm is common but can not confirm it for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
run/accy rly, run rly, starter sol rly, run/start rly, pcm rly, ebl rly. k1,2,3,4,5,6

ok ,so all these are good is what u saying ,sorry explain more last reply

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
solved the problem. It was the anti-theft key felled off. Call the dealer and I didnt know about this. For future reference.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now I have the abs and trac control light on together. What this might be?
But that means the anti theft light was flashing or On, no worries as long u got it running that is what matters Glad u got itThat mean fault in abs system ,abs wheel sensors , abs pump etc ,
Drive it few miles turn switch off back on and see if it will reset , if it stays on scan it and retrieve fault codes from abs module .
Do not have to be dealer scanner , a lot shop have capable scaner that can read that and will get fault number and based that number we can pull up a pin point trouble shoot tree and follow to be accurate .
If you get faults you can post them back here for me and I can look them up .

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciatted

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat