Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Overheating even after new thermostat and water pump. 2004…

Customer Question
Overheating even after new...

Overheating even after new thermostat and water pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle ever overheated? And when was it last serviced?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2004 4.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm thinking head gasket

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thermostat and pump

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/11/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 9 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It can be common in some cases for a cylinder head gasket to leak internally causing the exhaust heat and gasses to enter the cooling system.This can be tested easily with a simple block tester.The tester can be purchased at a local parts store like auto zone.The tester seats onto the radiator fill or if no radiator fill the reservoir fill port.Fluid is added to the tester and then the engine is ran until warm.If the fluid bubbles and changes color from usually blue to green this indicates a head gasket leak needing repaired.Most shops or a dealer can test this as well for you.Here is a link to the tester.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

If this is found to be o.k. and these other components were already replaced I would have the engine fan tested to see if the fan has an issue needing replaced.I would also check the fins on the radiator and ac condensor for being bent or damaged needing straightened out and perform a coolant flush to free up and remove any debris.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete