Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

Trying to find out where the ambient temp sensor is located

Customer Question

trying to find out where the ambient temp sensor is located on 2005 dodge ram hemi
JA: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to help find that for your Dodge Ram. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?
Customer: yes , temp reads 130 deg all the time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It is on the underside of hood, here is a picture. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tzrwbj24ezzk5ll/ambts.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thats not correct. i have sensor but it is loose and trying to find out where it attaches. harness is by drivers side head light. just do not know where sensor attaches to body
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can I get your vin number and look it up that way? Thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can I also get a picture of sensor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1d7hu18d95s361734
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Can you send me a picture of sensor or tell me what color the wires are going to it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Violet with green stripe, blue
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did u get pic
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This is the front impact sensor for airbags, ambient temp sensor is under the hood. Here is a diagram of where impact sensor goes. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7cl2jqer0j79v8k/i1.pdf?dl=0

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ww8glc4rc12grt/i2.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where does this sensor go then
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

It goes on the frame, if you look at 2nd link you will see where it goes behind frame. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hood pic
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do you see any loose wire harnesses near drivers side fender that seem to not be going anywhere? Looks like hood may have been removed at some point and wiring not put back in place.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Part number says ambient sensor 56042395
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes to look into this. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I see the 06+ was mounted by headlight so maybe vehicle was made later in year. I'm trying to find a good picture of mounting location.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
08/05
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Manual doesn't seem to have any good info on this, here is only picture I'm getting. I'll open question up to see if someone else can help. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2omb51nuuajwo7c/ats.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I have a 2005 Ram 1500 with a 5.7 engine, give me a few minutes to go outside and take a pic of it mounted to it's proper mounting location...

I'll be back with you asap, thanks for your patience and understanding while I research this for you...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Found where it goes. Attaches to lower headlight mounting bolt. My other question. Sensor tested good at 90 degrees. Proper resistance. Why is overhead console reading 130 degrees all the time
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Correct, it mounts to the left headlamp lower mounting screw, I see that the screw was missing in your pic..

IF the sensor resistance is good then the problem is either in the wiring or in the module. You will need to check the resistance of the wiring before condemning the module.

Do you need wiring diagrams and connector pin charts to diagnose this??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.