Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs
7276279

I have 2001 dodge Dakota you tube show the ignition switch

Customer Question

I have 2001 dodge Dakota you tube show the ignition switch on the right side with the lock cylinder. Mine is on the left side with the tilt switch. How do you replace it
JA: Has the car been stalling out?
Customer: no. You turn the key it won't start anymore. Was starting if you wiggled the key
JA: What year is your MiniE?
Customer: 2001 dakota
JA: Are you fixing your MiniE yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Just took of the cover and saw the difference from youtube
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

You should be able to access and remove your switch by removing the upper and lower shrouds behind the steering wheel, before you start this repair be sure to disconnect the negative battery cable to disable the air bad system. See the factory removal steps in the link below and see if this is what your needing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvf2in9az03ew8f/Ignition%20switch%20Sep%209.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kk744p9i0vqfwe/switch%20view%20Sep%209.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I got the switch on. Still wont turn over. Do I need to change the ignition cylinder to secure a connection
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Are you saying the ignition lock will not turn or dose it just crank and not start, please explain.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It turns. Nothing going to the starter.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
won't crank
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

If it will not crank and the switch is being turned then its not likely a bad lock cylinder but more like an electrical issue. There are 3 fuse that power the ignition switch and the starter relay that you should check first to be sure they have power in and out of them, check the fuse E and fuse 16 both located in the under hood fuse panel as well as the fuse #12 located in the interior fuse panel. If the check okay then check to see if you are getting key on cranking power out of the starter relay on the brown start wire to the starter, see the start circuit wiring diagram in the link below for testing reference. Check these things and let me know what you find.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yhf1yaw0nev3etj/Starter%20Sep%209.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.