Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

My 2004 ram 2500 when the key is turned off and back on

Customer Question

my 2004 ram 2500 when the key is turned off and back on removes some mileage
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: don't think so
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the inst panel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Does this happen every time? Can you make a video demonstrating this and post it to YouTube so I can review it and give you my thoughts?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought this old pickup about a month ago and yes it does it every time a new trip is made, it shows about the right mileage but when you stop and turn off the key and then back on about 80% or better of the miles disappear both trip and permanent, that's the new miles that disappear
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my hearing is bad and phone calls are very hard for me
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

The website many times automatically requests a phone call when neither the customer or expert requests it or requires it. Most of the time, for car questions, communicating via this site is best..

Are you able to make a video of this happening? I've never heard of this and I would like to verify for myself that in fact this is happening. Once I can review your video, I can contact Star Center with this for some answers. Odometer miles being correct is VERY IMPORTANT and rolling back of mileage is illegal so I'm sure the manufacturer would want to get to the bottom of this concern if it can be verified....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

You stated: "it shows about the right mileage but when you stop and turn off the key and then back on about 80% or better of the miles disappear both trip and permanent, that's the new miles that disappear"

So in other words, the actual miles shown on the odometer has really not advanced since you have purchased the vehicle?

Very strange...