Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I've got a 2008 caliber 5 speed. It won't stay in 5th gear,

I've got a 2008 caliber...
I've got a 2008 caliber 5 speed. It won't stay in 5th gear
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: As far as I know, it's original to the vehicle. No I haven't. I just bought the car off a friend
JA: Are you fixing your Caliber yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I plan on doing most of it myself. So far, I've been trying to see if it's a common problem with this vehicle
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a 2.0L 4 cylinder xst
9/9/2017
Thomas Ragusa

hello, my name is***** am a certified dodge technician, let me take a look at any TSb's that might be listed for your problem, give me one second.

There are no known issues with the concern you are having, if only 5th gear is popping out then I would have to say the 5th gear in the trans needs to be inspected. if 1st and 3rd gears were doing the same thing I would suspect the shift linkage, but since its only 5th I would have someone tear open the trans and inspect for worn out gaers and parts

The car will pop out of 4th as well, but only if it is driven excessively. I work as an industrial mechanic at a very reputable bearing manufacturer. If/when I open the housing, is there anything I should keep my eye out for as far as signs of wear and tear?

well if you are going to take it out, I would find out the last time the clutch was changed, and replace it, also change the throw out bearing. you want to look out for any metal shavings, as well as any scorched up gear teeth

take a look at the shift fork aswell and make sure it moves and doesnt seem to be excessively worn out.

Ok. And as far as the fork, what's the threshold between worn, but still ok and excessively worn?
You can use your own judgement. It takes a lot for it to wear out. If a piece is broken or severely worn. Or excessive unwanted play. When you open it up and there is a problem it will be noticed.
Fair enough. I've also heard people about a detent wearing out that will no longer keep the gear locked into place. What actually keeps the selected gear in place, and preventing it from popping out of gear?

the engagement of the clutch and the torque on the dears themselves, there might be a little detente, I just haven't noticed it I guess, been awhile since I had one apart in front of me

Thomas Ragusa
Thomas Ragusa
Thomas Ragusa
Thomas Ragusa