rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the transmission

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the transmission engages, there is a bump going into neutral and then into first gear. The van has 154000 miles on it. The transmission is new. Is there a means of adjusting the transmission to rid me of the bump, or is it in other drive line linkage. I have owned several Chrysler products with the same problem.
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: It was filled when the transmission was installed. The problem existed with the current transmission and the one that was replaced. I have no leaks. Some have opined the it might be the axles causing the engagement bump.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The mechanic who installed the transmission services the car. He is not an automatic transmission expert, and when he shifted the gears the problem did not manifest; I think the car may resemble patients who cannot manifest the problem in the doctor's presence.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. The problem has been present since the original transmission. The current transmission is a warranty replacement of the transmission purchased to replace the original which had the bumping problem and then died. While the problem has been present in three Chrysler vans I have owned/driven, I'd like to know if there is something that can be done to resolve it. I took the original transmission to a transmission specialist who afforded me no solution, though he tested and test drove the vehicle. I am of the opinion that prolonged driving with the rough engagement will ultimately cause damage to the transmission.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

This is most likely a drive line noise such as an axle with too much play in it. It can easily be found on a lift.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 1 month ago.

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron