Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the transmission…

Customer Question
I have a 2008...

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan. When the transmission engages, there is a bump going into neutral and then into first gear. The van has 154000 miles on it. The transmission is new. Is there a means of adjusting the transmission to rid me of the bump, or is it in other drive line linkage. I have owned several Chrysler products with the same problem.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your transmission fluid last checked?

It was filled when the transmission was installed. The problem existed with the current transmission and the one that was replaced. I have no leaks. Some have opined the it might be the axles causing the engagement bump.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

The mechanic who installed the transmission services the car. He is not an automatic transmission expert, and when he shifted the gears the problem did not manifest; I think the car may resemble patients who cannot manifest the problem in the doctor's presence.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. The problem has been present since the original transmission. The current transmission is a warranty replacement of the transmission purchased to replace the original which had the bumping problem and then died. While the problem has been present in three Chrysler vans I have owned/driven, I'd like to know if there is something that can be done to resolve it. I took the original transmission to a transmission specialist who afforded me no solution, though he tested and test drove the vehicle. I am of the opinion that prolonged driving with the rough engagement will ultimately cause damage to the transmission.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2017
Dodge Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 11 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This is most likely a drive line noise such as an axle with too much play in it. It can easily be found on a lift.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron