Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab 5.9 Cummins Automatic 4wd.

Customer Question
94000 miles. Car Dealership tried...
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Crew Cab 5.9 Cummins Automatic 4wd. 94000 miles. Car Dealership tried to jump start the truck. After that it would crank but not start. I determined that there was a short in the computer (30a pcm fuse kept blowing; wiring harness was not grounded). I sent computer off to SIA auto electronics and they repaired computer. Reinstalled computer and truck now starts normally but shuts off after 5 seconds of normal idle. I noticed that the PNDL indicators are missing and that the tranny will not shift out of P. I am wondering if I have a neutral safety switch issue or if some other electrical damage occurred with the surge that appears to have damaged the computer. This truck had 50000 trouble free miles before I dropped it off at he dealer to sell. Not sure if they did anything other than attempt to jump start the truck.Tx
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/8/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 11 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN and the miles on the odometer so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Is there a Red Dot illuminated on the cluster when you start it? What does this light do? Stay on, turn off after a few seconds or continue flashing?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

94000 miles

I suspect that when they remanufactured the ECM it lost the "Secret Key" information in the ECM for the IMMOBILIZER. What must be done at this point is tow it to the dealer and have them run the "PCM REPLACED" function using the factory scan tool. After this is done the vehicle should stay running. Now for the Shift indicator lights and other issues, you probably have another module burned up from the jump starting. To figure out what is wrong you will need to have all modules scanned for codes. Dealer can do this also. If you can post the codes here, I can help you or give you a second opinion on the dealership diagnosis....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Any other options? Local dodge dealers are very poor.
I called the ECM repair shop and they said that they normally stay away from the immobilizer info in the ECM. I did get the techs name who did the work and can get in touch with him on Monday ...
Would a big independent shop have that factory scanner? Can I rent one? Are there any tests I can do without it?

Unfortunately, there are no other options. The factory scan tool must be used along with the vehicle PIN number to be able to get secure access to immobilizer for programming.

You stated: "I called the ECM repair shop and they said that they normally stay away from the immobilizer info in the ECM."

Are you 100% sure that you received the SAME ECM back after being rebuilt? If not the same one, this is why it won't stay running. The ECM would have had to be the same one that came out of it to still have the original secret key info.

You stated: "Would a big independent shop have that factory scanner? Can I rent one? Are there any tests I can do without it?"

Not likely although it is definitely possible. You will need to physically visit the local shops in your area and ask them if they have access to the Dodge Factory Witech Diagnostic system. If they do then they can do this along with the needed PIN number. I can get the pin number if you need it.. I'll need the last 8 digits of the VIN number to be able to retrieve the PIN number for you..

I don't think that Chrysler or any companies out there rent or have access to be able to rent it for you. Unfortunately, without the factory scan tool you are pretty much stuck...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

It is the same ECM... I wrote my name on the case...
Vin is in the pix I sent you. I'll check with a few shops i know of next week. Thx

Here you go: --->> Click Here to view <<---

Even though they said they stay away from Immobilizer Programming, I still suspect a problem with the "Secret Key" info. If you can't find an Independent shop that has a Dealer Level Scan Tool (WiTech) you will have NO choice but to go to the dealer..

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

______________________________________