sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I had a leaky gearbox so I replace it. 2001 cummins. First I

Customer Question

I had a leaky gearbox so I replace it.
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2001 cummins
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: First I had a leaky gearbox I replaced that then my power steering was almost like it wasn't working and my brake pedal was extremely stiff and making shuttering noises and my ABS light and brake light are turning on and off intermittently and I replace the pump and the gearbox at this point
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Has brake fluid it's pretty clean but unsure on change
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just having steering issues and hard pedal new pump and gear box
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey I had a leaky gearbox so I replaced that so then my power steering not working and my brake pedal was hard I talked to him a Canik they told me to replace the pump because I wasn't getting pressure because my brakes aren't working also the pedal is very hard and my ABS and brake light
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have replace my power steering gear box and pump and my brake pedal is very hard the brakes are not working as they should and my power steering is only working at higher RPMs
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
If you did not have the steering or hard brake pedal before you replaced the steering gear box, then there is a defect in that gearbox you installed. It is causing hydraulic pressure problems which is affecting the steering assist and hydroboost.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Return that gearbox and get another one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The brake and ABS light are coming on intermittently
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
By the way, where did you purchase it from?
Chris
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could the hydroboost be causing this problem and should I use ATF instead of power steering fluid
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was starting to have braking problems it felt kind of funny and would kind of Jar on me when I stopped and I had a very hard stop a month ago and since then it's been funny that's why I'm thinking hydroboost along with the brake and ABS light popping on
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
It could be a hydroboost issue, but it is strange that this started after replacement of the gearbox. Power steering fluid ir ATF4 transmission fluid will both work.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Does the pump make a whining noise when you turn the steering wheel?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try switching it out if that doesn't work I Wil message again.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I will be here, and look for your reply.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

You are welcome!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
New gear box same problem
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Think it's the hydro booster at this point? 2 gear boxes 2 pumps. Same problem
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

I suppose. It is possible that maybe the old gearbox or maybe the pump and/or new gearbox had some contaminated debris/metal that circulated through the system and cause a restriction in the hydroboost. So disconnect the lines and flush them well with mineral spirits and then replace the hydrobosst. Can't be much else.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 were new the leaky one was 6 months. Fluid is new looking. The power steering works in higher rpms and less when braking
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.

Just FYI, I have had issues with a lot of aftermarket pumps and gears in the past. About 6 months ago I had an older Dakota that I replaced 3 pumps and 3 gears. None worked. Finally was able to get reman Mopar ones and all was well..

Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well shit. I dont really know what to do. My truck is f**ked and a cat 5 hurricane will be here in 2 days
Expert:  Chris replied 1 month ago.
Oh man, sorry. Tell you what, I will opt out of this question so that another expert can try to help you out with this. Maybe he can help you. Stay safe.Chris
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thank you.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I fixed it and want a refund. Y'all were zero help and you told me to change apart that was perfectly good instead of the part that was the problem that I had brought up