Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master
Experience:  Dodge Master Certified, Dodge Sprinter Certified
49095596

I just replaced the pump in the tank and I don't have any

Customer Question

I just replaced the pump in the tank and I don't have any power going to it
JA: Have you checked the fluids recently?
Customer: Yes all ok
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2004 ram 2500
JA: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just replace the fuel pump in the tank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: How do I get power to the pump
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Did you bother checking for power at the pump before replacing it?

are you there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought there was a pump in the tank, I could not reach the connection. I dropped the tank and installed a new pum. I found out the original one looks like just a sender

sorry, cant call right now. please standby

what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5,9 diesel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Inline six cyclider

sorry, I dont work on diesels. Ill open this up to someone who does. they should be right with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to wait 24 hours?
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Before I can answer, I need to ask a question of you. I'm posting a pic of two fuel module assemblies. Can you tell me which unit was removed (Left or Right) and which one was installed into the vehicle. Also, I'll need to know where the unit was purchased?

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just replaced the pump in the tank and found out there was not a motor pump in there
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought there was a pump in the tank. I went and purchased a new pump from auto zone and it has a motor. My problem now is I don't have power to run this pump. Is this s normal . I was not getting any fuel to my engine
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry I bought it a o Riley auto parts
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

To get the In-tank pump running you will need a Bosch relay and some wire and solder and heat shrink as necessary..

Originally an 04 would have came with an Engine Mounted Lift Pump. If you want to use the in-tank pump instead, you will need to remove the Engine Mounted fuel pump so that it won't cause a restriction... If you purchase the Fuel Transfer Pump RETROFIT Kit from the dealer, it comes with EVERYTHING necessary to complete the conversion...

How much did you pay for the unit that you purchased? I can check dealer price for the Retrofit Kit if you would like....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
$240
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

You can get the FACTORY Conversion kit that Includes EVERYTHING needed to perform the conversion. Part number is ***** Click HERE to go to a site where you can purchase one for less than $325. The local dealer will be around $450. It even includes the instruction sheet to perform the conversion. If you have already had the ECM updated you won't need to have it updated. If the ECM has never been flash updated, it is HIGHLY recommended to perform the update. Dealer can perform the ECM update for you if needed...

If you need an instruction procedure to make your own wiring overlay harness let me know. IF you do it this way you will need to purchase a few additional parts to be able to remove the engine mounted lift pump.. If you want to go this route, let me know, I can give you some part numbers necessary to buy these parts separately....

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Expert:  Robert R replied 1 month ago.

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.