sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I have a 1997 Dodge Stratus with a code P0117 and P1493. The

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Dodge Stratus with a code P0117 and P1493. The battery light is on on the dashboard. I have Fivel reference at the coolant temperature Sensor but my scanner is showing zero voltage
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Michael Solis replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** will be assisting you today!! Help me clarify your question, you want to know why the battery light is on? And you also want to try to solve your temp sensor problem? Has anything been done to the vehicle that would trigger these codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The vehicle came in with the check engine light on, the battery light on, with Coach P0117 and PO 1493. The ECT in BAT have 5 V reference to the sensor and continuity to ground on the black wire with blue tracer. Is there a common component that would tie the battery light with those two sensors? My scanner says the alternator is charging 13.3 which is on the low side but within spec

Have you checked the temperature sensor for the battery? it should be a foam type piece with a connector wrapped around the battery. Some people forget to connect that connector, as for the coolant sensor you said you are getting a 5 v reference?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am getting Fivel reference at the coolant sensor and also at the battery temperature sensor. This battery temperature sensor looks more like an ambient temperature connected right behind left front bumper but not attached to the battery
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Fivel actually is 5 V
1. Check the Battery Temperature Sensor connection, it's located in front of the left radiator support. The wires at the sensor will be Violet/Light Green (signal) and Black/Light Blue (sensor ground). It requires an open in the circuit to set this code.

2. Jump the pins at the connector together and the code should change to shorted and the scan tool sensor voltage reading should go to zero volts.

As for the coolant sensor. It can either be a bad sensor or wiring issue,

P0117 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Low Voltage - Manual and Automatic Transmission

Possible CausesSetting Conditions

• ECT sensor signal circuit is shorted to ground
  • ECT sensor connector is damaged (check pins for damage, and for moisture)
  • ECT sensor has failed
  • PCM has failed

Key on or engine running; system voltage over 10.5v and the PCM detected the ECT signal was less than 0.50v for over 3 seconds.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With both sensors plugged in my scanner is reading 0 V on both sensors. The coolant temperature sensor is reading 114° and never changes up or down

Can you check continuity on each circuit?

I can see pin 52 is for the bat temp sensor

seems like both have open circuits

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
With the ignition key on I have continuity to ground on both senses the black wire with the blue tracer

on the temp sens is there a vt/lg?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The temp sensor is brown with a blue tracer

the battery temp sensor?

sorry was looking into the battery issue first

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery temp sensor wire is brown and light green

and it gets good continuity from the to pin 52?

My diagram seems off may have to opt out and let someone else try to help you sorry.

will opt out hope you can find the right procedures

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The powertrain control module will need to be replaced to repair these two fault codes given the test results you have provided.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The alternator is charging at 13.3 and the battery light is on, could this be tied to the same circuit?
The battery light is on because of the lack of battery temperature sensor signal.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We will persue a PCM and I will update you with the result. Can I request you in the future with my Chrysler needs?

Yes, you always can request me when opening a new question.