Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner at Baltic investments
99232115

2001 Dodge Dakota club cab 4whl 4.7 137,000 mi. Code P0206

Customer Question

2001 Dodge Dakota club cab 4whl 4.7 137,000 mi. Code P0206 then P0306 then P0356. P0356 hasn't appeared the last 6 times. Swapped coils no change. Replaced fuel injector, no change. Checked voltage and got 12.0v. Can hear injector click with stethoscope. Bypassed the wire brown with blue stripe from PCM to injector, no change. Checked compression and the cylinder has compression. Reset PCM. I am at a loss for what to check next
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mechanic01 replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

does it run rough?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but it does run. It will idle on its own without stalling.

I noticed you didnt say anything about checking the spark plugs? I have seen some that have checked out ok visually and replaced anyway and it would fix the issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
New plugs 2 weeks ago. Was running awesome with new plugs then this code happened 2 days ago.

there could be a hair line crack in one, have you tried swapping plugs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I will try that.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was not the solution. I swapped plugs and still got P0206.

with all of the checks you have done the next thing to look at would be a possible broken valve spring, or some fault with the valves, you might also want to try id you have a bora scope to manually turn over engine and see if they are seating all the way

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I thought about using my scope but I have compression. I thought if there was a problem with the head I would have no compression. I am also concerned how to get a view of valve with these funky spark plug location.

with the broken spring you could have enough tension to keep it closed but not enough to function properly and that would be how you get compression and missfire

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will try that either tonight or tomorrow.

sure thing that will take some time,

hows it coming?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had some sort of grounding problem with the fuel injector. I could tell the injector was clicking but apparently it was staying on all the time. I had to bring it to a shop because I couldn't isolate it.

well let me know what they say, did you ever pull the cover and check the springs?