Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

05 dakota quad cab. service 4wd light intermittent. now the…

Customer Question
05 dakota quad cab...

05 dakota quad cab. service 4wd light intermittent. now the truck acts like it's locked in***** corners are almost impossible to make.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

I don't have either. i took it to a mechanic, but his computer only showed one fault -- don't remember exactly what it was but something to do with exhaust temperature.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll pass this info along to the Dodge Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm not a car person so only thing i've tried is to switch it in and out of 4wd. i think maybe something is wrong there because it won't lock in (doesn't light up on the dash) but not sure. the mechanic wants to rebuild my transfer case.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's the only thing wrong with it that i know of

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Are you planning to diagnose and repair yourself?

Why is your mechanic wanting to rebuilt the transfer when his scan tool will not read the code fro this concern?

Mechanic is saying it sounds like the clutch in the transfer case is slipping/sticking but doesn't really know. I'm not sure his computer is up to date on software since it doesn't show any errors. The problem seems to be worse when it's cooler out; that makes me think electronic/computer since it's affected by weather. There is a sound occasionally that could be the 4wd trying to engage; usually hear it after we park the truck and get out with the engine off. The problem is intermittent and usually stops before we get the truck to the mechanic so he can't drive it and see for himself what the problem is.

Based on hard to turn corners I can tell for sure the transfer case and front end are locked in 4wd. However with the information so far that does not 100% point to a problem within the transfer case. The transfer case can be being incorrectly commanded to do this meaning the concern is outside the case. My recommendation is to have the tech disable all electrical to the transfer case shift motor so that it can not be commanded. If the concern no longer occurs then you know it is not a concern inside the case.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

I took it in and they told me I don't have the tcsm because I have awd. They're convinced it's the tc. I took it home and pulled fuse #42 because it was labeled tcm. For the first time in a long time, I managed to turn corners without jumping all over the place. Now I'm more convinced than before that it's not the tc. Where do you think I should go from here?

Thanks for the extra info, can i have the vin# ***** look more over this electrical circuit?

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician