Michael Solis
Michael Solis,
Experience:  Lead Tech at Solis Auto Repair
99786211

Ac is out was told its the evaporator core mechanic said

Customer Question

ac is out was told its the evaporator core mechanic said cant drive the car because ac compressor has no clutch and ac is always running is this true
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model/year of your Dodge?
Customer: 2009 dodge avenger
JA: Are you fixing your Avenger yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no im not i was told this mechanic is lying that all ac compressors have a clutch
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: he did work before on my car that work is still under warranty he changed the compressor accumulator and condensor
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Michael Solis replied 1 month ago.

Hey my name is***** was reading your case, and its sounds interesting to work on. How long has the A/C stopped working?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about a week
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about a week so because i wont give another 26 dollars i dont get another response

To answer your question, I think you will be fine with no drive ability issues if you drive it like that.This is a sign that the A/C compressor has seized. Driving the car is not a problem. Your compressor will no longer engage without a clutch, it will no longer engage if it locked up. If you want to be sure if you have refrigerant still you can, but if clutched came off and you saw a cloud of smoke then there is no refrigerant.

Especially if you have been driving it over a week with this issue, then you should be fine (13+ years experienced, seen many vehicles all makes & models that continue to drive with no clutch). Also definitely take advantage of that warranty, he should cover that

Did I answer your questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thank you the compressor was changed less than a year ago it has a two year warranty he said its not the compressor he is telling me the compressor has no clutch so its always running the car is parked he said if i drive it i will burn the compressor which will void the warranty

whats the engine size?

so I can show you a diagram of what your compressor looks like

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.4 L
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

here is a picture of your compressor attached, I will also send you a ebay link of an oem used compressor that is similar to yours. http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-DODGE-AVENGER-AC-Compressor-2-4L-09-10-17CX130-/382204009233?fits=Year%3A2009%7CMake%3ADodge%7CModel%3AAvenger&hash=item58fd225b11:g:nxUAAOSw5adZnEjX&vxp=mtr

Look at both the link & the attached file.

Did you get the pictures?

Hello? Is there anything else I ca help you with?

Hello?

It was my pleasure answering your question. Now that we have either answered, or somewhat answered the question, I will offer my rating. Please let me know if for some reason you are not satisfied with the results I gave you, let me know because I strive for excellence & expect a 5 star. If you feel 5 star is not worth it, let me know what else I can do or change. Leaving a bad rating or negative rating only hurts me not the site. So please let me know if there is something I can do for you to earn your 5 star rating. Thank you. Sincerely, Michael.