Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Clutch intermitten mostly off, relay good, no just stopped

clutch intermitten mostly off, relay...
clutch intermitten mostly off, relay good
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no just stopped one day and a week later nothing, 12 Volt to wire going to clutch to batterie ground but nothing at the connector
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked ac relay coil and jumped relay contact, good. pulled apart connector at clutch, no voltage at truck connector. 12 Volts from one side of the connector to ground
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: If it is the switch inside the cab can I run a switch to direct connect
9/6/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started.

Can I get the year, make, model?

2001 Dodge dakota sport 6 cyl
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: no just stopped one day and a week later nothing, 12 Volt to wire going to clutch to batterie ground but nothing at the connector
Could be shifting, no sure, no slopping clutch when it runs. Turned the truck off once after ac quit, put it in park, then restarted, ac was on for a short time again, then nothing
Oh yeah. disconnected clutch under hood, worked again for a short time
sorry for sloppy typing.

When the AC is commanded on are you saying the clutch is not getting power on the dark blue/black wire or it is not getting ground on the black wire?

Have 12 Volts at connector to ground of battery, but no voltage between both wires to clutch
No voltage between blue black and black at connector

Does your meter read ohms?

ohms thru clutch wires to clutch, do't remember how many.

If you unplug the clutch connector and ohm test the black wire to the battery negative post does the meter show OL for out of limits or 0.0?

Din't try that, I can if you give me about 5-10 min. ac on and truck running I take it
o.o I did try that
Will recheck that

You can do this test with the key off.

K
I was wrong, reads OL
Wait a minute, I checked it from the connector, Will check black back to battery

Respond when ready

Both read OL, checked both to be sure
Checked meter @ battery 12.6, meter good

Thanks, ***** ***** have power to the clutch and no ground. This means the black wire is broken in the harness or it has a poor connection at the body. Based on these tests a new ground wire or the current ground wire working will resolve this. This wire is connected to the top left rear of the engine rear of the valve cover.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Bet your right, If need be can I run a new ground wire? to the battery.

I would just run one to the bolt securing the AC to the engine, much closer.

eric remington
eric remington, FORMER SHOP OWNER/TECHNICIAN/INSPECTOR
Phone call session started
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician